• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Talk shortcut in People gone - FroYo bug?

Hi guys,

I did a search so hopefully this hasn't been brought up before. If so, I apologise.

I've been running the official OTA HTC FroYo update for a few weeks now and haven't really had any problems. However, today I noticed that the Google Talk shortcut when tapping a contact's photo has disappeared and has been replaced with another Phone icon. When clicking this icon I am prompted to choose from a list of completely unrelated applications to complete the action with? Google Talk is NOT listed on this screen. This icon only shows up on contacts who are online on Google Talk, so I assume that the 2.2 update has somehow broken the Talk shortcut in the phonebook?

I've taken a few screenshots to help explain the error:

Has anyone else come across this and if so, have you been able to fix it?

I clicked some of activities listed, and most would do nothing/just open normally, apart from when I chose "People" and came across a dialer screen that I've never seen before:

It's listed under "People com.android.htcdialer" and looks quite nice but I haven't figured out a way to access it apart from navigating through the Google Talk error! Has anyone else seen this screen?

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to help!

was this issue ever corrected? It's driving me nuts, totally cripples google talk feature. would love to know of a solution. i've tried other contact apps, and this worked properly when i had a nexus one. it's a huge feature i'd use. I mean it shows the stupid status from google talk, but it won't let me start a chat? or so if their online or not within the people app? how frak'n stupid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones