1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Voice Alternative for Second Google Voice Number?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by shurafa, Feb 16, 2011.

1. shurafa

shurafa Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    I am looking for a way to access my second Google Voice number from my Android phone. (I have one GV# for Work and one for Personal)

On my iPhone I use the Official Google Voice app along with GV Connect: http://goo.gl/6Mh9E to use both Google Voice numbers at the same time. I am looking for something similar to GV Connect for Android.

Currently I use the following 4 methods to 1. View SMS 2. Send SMS 3. Make Phone Calls. 4. Recieve SMS notification on an Android Phone.
    1. To View SMS: I created a widget of the Google Voice website that I use to view messages in the Chrome Beta.
    2. To send SMS: I use Group SMS & Scheduler http://goo.gl/Vtwpo.
    3. To Make Calls: I use GooveIP http://goo.gl/iTczt
    4. SMS Notifications on Phone: I set forwarding of SMS messages on my secondary Google Vocie number to my gmail. Then created a Gmail label for all SMS messages to a particular label and skip my inbox. I then setup a custom notification sound for this folder so that I can get notifications on my phone.

There has to be a better way than this. I find it hard to believe that an iPhone is head and shoulders above Android when it comes to using Multiple Google Voice numbers.

Advertisement

2. rifenbc

rifenbc Lurker
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I have the same situation. Work wants to give me a BlackBerry. Instead of carrying 2 phones, they said I could use a GV number. I do NOT want to hand out the personal one!

The only thing that I have found so far would be to create another GMail Account.

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Interesting approach. I'd just use one GV number. GV has tools for managing incoming calls.

4. jakeshumway

jakeshumway Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Shurafa - I saw your post on the Google Voice Help Forum. Maybe you and I are the only ones looking for a solution to this problem...

For anyone else reading this, I want to be able to send and receive calls, as well as text messages from both accounts without having to sign out of one and into the other. I used the official Google Voice app, as well as GV Mobile+ on my iPhone. Two Google Voice apps on Android would work perfectly, so I'm looking for a second app. Any ideas?

5. daisy40

daisy40 Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Full Time Graduate Student & Full Time Youth Worke
    Minnesota
    I'm in the same boat, currently I carry two phones, one for work, one for personal. I've considered doing the two GV numbers, but never had a way to do it one one phone without logging on and off. Hopefully someone has an idea!

6. shurafa

shurafa Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Works well on an iphone. Especially if you have sprint.

1. Integrate Google Voice with your phone for your primary GV number.
    2. Install GV Mobile+ for your second GV number.

If you are on Android it is ironically much harder.

1. Integrate Google Voice with your phone for your primary GV number.
    2. You can use GrooveIP to make calls with your GV number. Google Voice SMS will let you send SMS messages. You can use Talkatone for both but again its clunky. Finally you can use the web interface.

Its all a bit clunky unfortunately. I hope someone comes up with a better solution for this. Ideally Google will just let you use more than one GV number. I would be more than happy to pay a monthly fee for this feature.

7. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just forward your work # to GV? If you have pass-thru caller-id configured on Google Voice, ytou'll be able to tell if it's work or personal on an incoming call or text.

8. shurafa

shurafa Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Incoming Calls work perfectly 100% for both numbers.

The problem is send/receiving SMS messages and Outgoing calls with the second Google Voice number.

9. gianthobbit

gianthobbit Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Coming from the iPhone where you can intergrate GV and sms right into the native SMS and phone, have 3-4 choices for GV apps, this is frustrating.

I could have SWORN I had an app back when I was on android last that did this but cant find it.

I created a home screen shortcut to google.com/voice. Clunky as all get out but at least I can read VM, listen if I have to, and place outgoing calls.

10. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Yep, it is sad better options don't exist yet.

11. jeffshead

jeffshead Lurker
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    USA
    I also need this.

12. shurafa

shurafa Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    It is a mystery to me how it is possible that an app for this has not yet been created. I would think it would be a lucrative project. I would pay just about anything for this application its the only reason my iPhone is still my primary device.

13. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    I would pay top dollar too .