• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice and Call Billing

Andoug

Apr 8, 2010
Well it looks like questions for Google Voice are in threads all over the place so I guess I'll start another one here. Here goes. I'm setting up my GV account and plan on selecting a GV number. Now will people calling me on my new number see any difference billing-wise compared to my current cell number? I know this doesn't really apply to cell phones but what about someone calling from a land line? The GV number I am selecting will be based out of the city I live in. Will that equate to the city or area of my current cell number?

Well it looks like questions for Google Voice are in threads all over the place so I guess I'll start another one here. Here goes. I'm setting up my GV account and plan on selecting a GV number. Now will people calling me on my new number see any difference billing-wise compared to my current cell number? I know this doesn't really apply to cell phones but what about someone calling from a land line? The GV number I am selecting will be based out of the city I live in. Will that equate to the city or area of my current cell number?

Well considering most cell and land line plans have free (or included in basic price) long distance, I doubt it. Unless they are calling internationally, but I think it'd be the same rate to the US no matter where they call. I know my land line being through Comcast has included/free long distance, so when I call my parents in MA it doesn't show up as a long distance call on my bill. Now if someone you know still pays for long distance, they need to get with the program... Haha! No, seriously. If your GV number and your cell number are in the same city, I see no reason their billing would be any different.

But I am just assuming all of this. Your best bet would be to test it out or have them call their phone company.

EDIT: I also think long distance rates go by state, not city specific.

Reactions: Andoug
Upvote 0
If anyone you talk to has a super old calling plan (land line) that still charges for toll calls they may notice a difference, depending on what area your GV number is. This was a concern my sister had so she was careful to choose a number that was in her same area. It made no difference to me so I just chose a number that was in my same area code. My number would be a toll call and hers would not, even though we both have the same area code.
But, in all honesty, most people have calling plans that eliminate toll and long distance charges anyway.
Check with the people who would be using most it and see if they care :)

Reactions: Andoug
Upvote 0
They'll no longer get the free Verizon in-Network credit if calling from a Verizon phone.

This is the biggest problem I see with Google Voice. If you're like me, most my family uses Verizon so it'll be eating up their minutes to call me. GV is best left for giving to people that call from landlines or other networks. At least until/if Google lets us use our own established number with their service.

Upvote 0
This is the biggest problem I see with Google Voice. If you're like me, most my family uses Verizon so it'll be eating up their minutes to call me. GV is best left for giving to people that call from landlines or other networks. At least until/if Google lets us use our own established number with their service.

They do let us use out number for Visual Voicemail and you can have the voicemail "ring my other phones before going to voicemail". So I still use my Verizon number and if my wife calls me and I've left my cell phone in the car it will ring my office phone and I can pick it up there or it will go to Google Voice for voicemail. I don't seem much advantage to using the google voice number over my Verizon number at that point and I get my mobile to mobile still.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones