• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice and Hangouts

saptech

Android Expert
Dec 9, 2011
Third Stone from the Sun
Are GV and HO linked with sound? It seems like when I'm at work running Windows 7, I have G+ open, if I get a call it looks like G+ start ringing from the computer and it seems to mute my phone.

***EDIT***
It turns out to be Hangouts that is causing the computer to ring when logged into it on the computer. Signing out of HO disables the ringing from the computer.

Thnx.

Now I'm not sure what is happening. This is what I'm seeing now after trying to figure it out.

I'm at work, so I can send & receive calls using the work phone.
Calling via google voice; it show the google number, but if i call the google number, no ring. If i call carrier number, it ring.
Now when I checkmark Foward calls to Tmobile in GV settings, I receive calls when dialing google number.
So it looks like I can make calls using GV dialer or the default dialer, I'm not sure which one it is, and google number is showing, but during the calls, the dialer display an odd number with message call via google voice.

I just need to know if I'm not using my tmobile minutes?

Talkatone is always using its number when I make calls, since the latest update, it requires you to pick one of their numbers.

Any thoughts on this?

Upvote 0
I mentioned in PM that I haven't used Talkatone in quite a while so I probably can't provide much useful insight. It sounds like they may be making changes in preparation of the Google XMPP service shutdown in April (by requiring you to use a number that they provide, they are becoming much more a traditional VoIP provider with their own set of DIDs (lines)).

Upvote 0
I'm not certain what is happening, but it looks like when I use the default dialer, it show the call is being made by GV, which show an odd number but the receiver see my GV number. Which means I shouldn't be charged any of my Tmobile's voice minutes?

If it's a VoIP call, you won't be charged for minutes. If it's a standard voice call (even one that uses "calling with Google Voice..."), it uses minutes.

So the better question is which dialer interface do you see? The stock Android one, or a VoIP client's (Talkatone, GrooveIP, etc)?

Upvote 0
If it's a VoIP call, you won't be charged for minutes. If it's a standard voice call (even one that uses "calling with Google Voice..."), it uses minutes.

So the better question is which dialer interface do you see? The stock Android one, or a VoIP client's (Talkatone, GrooveIP, etc)?
It's been using the stock dialer. So it's using minutes, interesting. Since the Talkatone update 2 days ago, when I use it to make calls, it is showing a Talkatone number instead of the GV number. The calls are going through Talkatone instead of GV. I can't get it to go through GV anymore.

Thnx.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones