1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Voice (and VOIP in general) questions

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DifferentFrogs, Nov 23, 2011.

1. DifferentFrogs

None

Nov 23, 2011
    I'm trying to set up a VOIP system - cell network coverage at my university is really patchy but the entire campus is blanketed with wireless internet, so I'm planning on using VOIP to make calls while I'm there.

I've done some research and apparently for most stuff, Google Voice is needed. However, when I try to set it up (I already have an account) it wants to verify my phone number, but when I try do so it just tells me "Your phone number could not be verified. Please try again."

And of course, trying again doesn't work.

I have a LG Optimus 2X running Android 2.2, in Canada with WIND as my provider. If anyone knows a fix for this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Is it not verifying your GV# or your cell#? Some networks won't let it verify your cell#, no big deal. Can you log into Google Voice? Does it show your GV# under settings? If so you should be set. GrooveIP should work well in your case.

3. DifferentFrogs

None

Nov 23, 2011
    I'm not sure what you mean by "log into google voice". On my computer? Yes. On my phone? Well, I'll describe what happens when I try...

So I downloaded the GV app. The first GV screen asks me to sign into google voice. I use my gmail account, and press the "sign in button". It then says that I can access my GV inbox from this phone, and that to complete the setup GV needs to "verify this phone number" etc. It is at this step that I run into problems.

Also, I'm not sure how I can "show my GV# under settings" - there doesn't seem to be any sort of settings tab on the GV program on my phone, and I'm not even sure what a GV# is.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: also, I should probably mention that I'm in Canada. Don't know if that makes a difference.

EDIT 2: Working on getting a GV number now, hopefully it will work...

4. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I meant on a PC. But yes you need a Google Voice number if you want to use the app for texting or VOIP stuff (like GrooveIP). That's probably the number they were asking for.

5. DifferentFrogs

None

Nov 23, 2011