1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Voice app(jailbreak/ non jailbreak

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mpossoff, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mpossoff

mpossoff Newbie
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Hi I'm new to android devices. Currently we have a family plan with 1 iPhone and getting 3 androids as a result of upgrade.

My iPhone is jailbroken. And the jailbroken app that I want on the 3 droids is what is called Phone GV extension and SMS GV extension. These 2 jailbreak apps work seemlessly with the iPhone.

Can androids be jailbroken like above?

If not is there a google voice app in android market that can accomplish the above? With an unjailbroken iPhone the google voice app from the App store works pretty good and I'm asking if it works pretty good with androids? If there is a google voice app available in the market how well does it work?

Advertisement

2. swagner53

swagner53 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    There is a Google voice app in the market. You do realize iPhone apps don't work on android right? Google voice for android will allow you to send SMS use Google voice for voicemail and make and receive calls from your Google voice account with no issues and no jailbreak (usually called rooting on Android)

3. mpossoff

mpossoff Newbie
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    I understand iPhone apps won't work with android devices. I just found that google voice app is available in android market.

My question is can an android device be hacked(jailbroken) like an iPhone where google voice can be integrated into android?

In other words since my iPhone is jailbroken I got a jailbroken app where I don't have to use the google voice app. With this jailbroken app when I make a call I can make a call via iPhone dialer (NOT the google voice app) and google voice is intergrated into the iPhone dialer.

Are you able to do this with android?

4. gruss

gruss Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    IT
    Toledoish
    swagner answered your question, you do NOT need to root to do what you are asking. download Google Voice from the market, set up and your done....it's already integrated extremely well and gives you the options to use GV for ALL CALLS, ask before a call, no calls or only international calls...this is "out of the box". no "hacking" required. there are even nice little widgets that will toggle settings and let you read your VM without opening the app.

5. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    OP: as noted, Google Voice works well on unrooted (non-jailbroken) devices.

There are helper apps that can facilitate seamless calling too.