• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice Assistant constantly popping up and changing song when plugged in to aux cord

bubDozer

Lurker
Feb 18, 2021
Hi, this is a really strange issue that I've been having recently that's only gotten worse. When I plug in my phone to the aux cord in my car, it starts changing the song and a song won't play for more than a few seconds before moving on to the next one. When I tried to play music from Spotify, a pop up was coming up that said something along the lines of "How would you like to complete this action?" with the options of Google and Bixby. I've had this phone for over two years and this has never happened. I finally just clicked Google after about 2 months of this and it just made everything worse. Before, it would usually stop being buggy after a minute but now I can't even listen to music in my without the song changing every few seconds and the Google Assistant Voice Activation popping up every time it hears the slightest sound, so even the few enjoyable seconds of music I get are interrupted by Google Assistant. I tried changing Google Assistant's settings so that it couldn't send me notifications since I don't use it much anyway, but that didn't work. Is there anything I can do?

You need a new auxillary cord.

Do not go cheap on this cord, because the issue can begin immediately with a cord that has a poor end.

You can first test my theory here by reversing the cord you are using now.
(It is a stereo 3.5mm (1/8”) jack on each end, correct?)

If the behavior is different in any way, or if you can cause it by wiggling the cord around at the ends- bingo.

Stay away from braided cables, and extremely high dollar name brand ones as well.

The ends are what is important, the cable itself is rarely damaged.

Look for gold plated ends, and hopefully a metal spring strain relief- or at least some good reinforcement where the cord connects to the ends.

A music store may be a great help to find a great quality cable.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones