1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Voice but msg stuck on Verizon voicemail

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by nitrochris, Feb 4, 2011.

1. nitrochris

nitrochris Lurker

I have my original Droid setup with Google Voice as the voicemail provider and it has been working great for the year or so I've used it. But I think somehow a friend managed to bypass my Google Voice inbox and leave a message on the carrier voicemail system (Verizon). So now I have a voicemail notification on the top of my phone that I can't clear and won't go away. When I dial *86 it goes to Google. I've tried to go under phone settings and change my voicemail provider back to carrier and redial *86 but it still routs to my Google Voice inbox.

Any Verizon or other users out there know how to check my carrier voicemail once google voice has been set up?

Thanks,
    Chris

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Stupifier

Stupifier Android Enthusiast

Uninstall Google Voice. Check your Verizon Voicemail. Reinstall Google Voice. Thats all I got.

3. wildland

wildland Well-Known Member

I get this notification periodically - usually I end up with a message with no sound... no idea how that's happening... to check / clear the message I just call my own mobile # from my cell phone and it lets me in to my verizon voicemail... see if that works rather than *86. If that doesn't work, try calling your GV number and then pressing option 2 to place a call and call your cell # from there - I think that has worked for me too...

4. nitrochris

nitrochris Lurker

I managed to get it. Dialing my own number and calling my number from GV didn't work so I uninstalled GV and disassociated my phone from GV by dialing *73. Maybe I could have just disassociated it rather than uninstalling (I think the problem I was having was at the network level not on my phone). And it was actually a legitimate VM message so I'm not sure how it snuck through. Thanks

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

FYI - you can use the "backdoor" number to get into Verizon's voicemail system and retrieve your messages. I think the number varies regionally, but there's a pattern to it - all the backdoor numbers end with 8686. For me, a backdoor number that works is 609-577-8686.

Once connected you can follow the prompts to "log in" to your own mailbox. From there you can listen to messages. You also have an option to send a message to another Verizon customer, which can be really useful if you want to leave them a message without the risk of having them answer the phone. This is at least one way that someone could have left you a message in your Verizon voicemail box.

nitrochris likes this.
  6. publicanimal

publicanimal Android Enthusiast

This just happened to me. I didn't need to uninstall Google Voice, I just went into Settings > Applications > Google Voice and tapped "Clear Data"

Then I dialed *73 a couple times, accessed my Verizon Voicemail, and deleted the message. Then I opened Google Voice and reconfigured it as my voicemail. Pretty painless.

7. joeonetime

joeonetime Lurker

Just tried this and that number worked for me. Nice job!