1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Google Voice Call Quality -- How is a call routed if you have GV make the call?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Jay3, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I use Google Voice (love it) primarily because of it's visual voicemail on my Droid. I do have a Google Voice number, and I'm trying to decide whether to set the Droid app to "make calls using Google Voice" or not.

I have no problem with giving out a different number, and my placed calls seeing the GV number in caller ID.

My question is, does this affect how the call is actually connected, from a quality standpoint? I tired a call both ways, and the sound quality seemed a little bit different. But then, I am an obsessive compulsive weirdo.

Does anyone know? Is there any difference in call quality or routing between making a native Verizon call and a Google Voice call on Droid? (Like, does Google voice actual use 3G to connect to Google server over the internetz, then place the phone call?)

Advertisement

2. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Bump -- anybody know the answer to this?

3. seniordev1

seniordev1 Member

Jan 25, 2010
    I'm not sure of the internals of how calls are handled, but I can tell you what I think is happening.

I use Google Voice for outgoing and incoming, and have my VM pegged to use it.

Calls via GV seem to have a slightly lower quality than calls using Verizon's native calling.

My voice minutes are still used when I use GV to make a call. However, they are not used when I put GV's outgoing number as one of my favorites. Note: I cut my plan to 45 minutes figuring on using favorites, only to find the 45 minute plan does not have favorites!

Finally, GV does NOT use the 3G connection, as I can't connect to the internet while on a GV call. That indicates to me that it's using the normal voice channel.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Yup. GV is not VOIP. I'm not sure why people assume it is. That's why it uses voice minutes if the access number isn't in your circle/list.