1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google voice/carrier independent

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by boyo1991, Oct 30, 2014.

1. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

What do you guys think about being carrier independent? (For lack of better term) buy a device and use google voice and VoIP to do all you need with calls and text. I've thought about it for a while but I'm not sure. I know the pros and con's but I want to see what others think too :)

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Unless you can live with WiFi coverage you'll need a carrier in the equation somewhere.

3. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

Yes you'll need a carrier if you go out if the house. So it'll be basically a Landline

4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Or did you mean something closer to "carrier agnostic" - that is, the same setup works regardless of what carrier you're on? That's the approach that I've taken with Google Voice. I'm all-in with my GV number, no one has the number actually assigned to my SIM. That lets me hop carriers depending on who's got the best deal (spoiler: T-Mobile by a longshot) without having to change/port numbers or anything else.

5. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

Then your stuck to wi-fi. Maybe in the future it won't be a problem, because city wide wifi might roll out one day.

6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Comcast is trying to make all wifi available. I've read that you will get a notice that your modem is now a hotspot. Some like it, some don't. I don't use cable, so I can't say.

Comcast Whips Up More WiFi | Multichannel

7. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

yeah.. it is OK.. if you are within a wifi most of the day. Home, work, friends,

some businesses have free wifi.. but they are mostly not very fast, because others are on there too. so VOIP would suffer greatly.