• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice for receiving calls

geolej

Lurker
Dec 30, 2009
I use google voice to send all my calls on my cliq xt but I was wondering if there is a way to have people call my google voice number and not have it count towards my minutes. Also is there a way to have the sms be integrated with the built in android sms app or have the voice app constantly be open?

Also is there a way to have the sms be integrated with the built in android sms app or have the voice app constantly be open?
Why do you need the GV app constantly open? For notifications? I've never had a problem on my Droid.

As for GV SMS in the stock app, the closest you can get is to enable SMS forwarding in GV.

if you have a voice plan that allows you to name you "faves" or pick your "friends and family top 5 numbers" or something like that, you can put your google voice number as one of those numbers, then it wont count against your minutes.
Only if you set GV caller ID to display your GV number for all inbound calls.

If you don't, anyone on your list will count as free for inbound calls.

Upvote 0
For "Free" (in-plan) Calls:

You need a carrier that has a friends and family type option like Verizon.

You need to add TWO numbers to your friends and family list.

NUMBER 1 - Your GV number itself for "inbound" calls (calls made to you) and "outbound" calls made through the browser interface.

NUMBER 2 - GV dials another local number (you will see it pop up) when making "outbound" calls (calls you initiate) using the GV app on the handset.

I have been checking my online bill and Number 2 does not seem to change. I will continue to do so to make sure I don't get any surprises. Suggest you do the same.

For SMS

I don't believe Friends and Family works for SMS messages which is an issue. If I have this correctly:

You can send SMS messages for free to anyone using the GV browser interface.

You can receive SMS messages for free PROVIDED you notify by email only. IF you have GV relay to the cell, that counts as a text.

The problem is, when you respond, you need to respond from the browser interface in order for the other caller to see the GV number as the number that sent the text. If you respond from the handset, it counts as a text and it is confusing because your cell number will show as the sender, defeating the purpose of GV.

I hope I am missing something with that but from what I see, that is how texting works.

Upvote 0
As long as you are using the GV app on the phone to send messages they are free.
Make sure you set GV messaging up to NOT forward to your VRZ messaging and incoming messages will be free. If you set it up correctly you can do away with your VRZ messaging plan and have totally free SMS (not MMS yet) through GV.
You can set it up to notify you by email but it also sends a 'regular' notification when you get a message or voicemail, so email notifications are redundant.

Reactions: Highland Ranger
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones