• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice: Getting Started

GreatGoo

May 8, 2010
Sorry if a thread already exists, I didn't see a thread for a novice.

FYI - I'm currently waiting for my dinc, I have a blackberry right now.

I set up my google voice today but i really have no idea to use it. I didn't elect to do the google number thing. I really don't want to get my house calls on my cell phone. Maybe I'm missing something about it?

My real question is with the voicemail part. So I now have this crazy area code number to call to access my voicemail. I'm guessing that cost some money. How do people work around that?

Also, i see people discussing about calling with GV. That probably comes with a droid app?

Sorry, I'm totally lost.

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

Don't know how you set yours up, but I simply bought a google voice number (chose my own number option), then you can choose your local area code or metro number, not long distance. You can then from your cell, dial that number, press 1 to get your voice mail, or 2 to place a call. With 2, you can then dial any number in the US or Canada free. You can dial anywhere in the world for that matter (you can buy goog minutes for world calls). You still use your minutes according to your minute plan, unless after peak/weekend, unless you have a friend/family number or favs, something like that, then that number can be used as one of your friends/favs, etc, then no minutes.

Reactions: Stole 71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones