• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice help

jazztalker

Mar 30, 2010
Madison, WI
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. I just started using Google Voice, and for some reason, it's very confusing to me. Basically, all I want to do is use it for texting people who aren't on Verizon. I have the GV app on my phone, and I used it for texting (sending and receiving) a friend and it appears to have worked correctly. However, I'm reading a lot of things that talk about adding the 406 number to the person's contact info. I didn't do that, and things seem to have worked correctly. The text showed up in my inbox from their normal cell number, and when I replied, it showed as being from my GV number, there were no 406 numbers or anything like that involved.

Am I missing something with these other numbers?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. I just started using Google Voice, and for some reason, it's very confusing to me. Basically, all I want to do is use it for texting people who aren't on Verizon. I have the GV app on my phone, and I used it for texting (sending and receiving) a friend and it appears to have worked correctly. However, I'm reading a lot of things that talk about adding the 406 number to the person's contact info. I didn't do that, and things seem to have worked correctly. The text showed up in my inbox from their normal cell number, and when I replied, it showed as being from my GV number, there were no 406 numbers or anything like that involved.

Am I missing something with these other numbers?

I'm having trouble with GV too... is there a way to make GV the default for messaging?

Upvote 0
I'm having trouble with GV too... is there a way to make GV the default for messaging?

When you go into a contact card you can select to either call, send an email, or send a message sms, mms...... if you press the mms sms option it should ask you what you want to use Messaging or google voice. there is also a box to check asking you to "make the default" option. check that and it should send sms through google voice. keep in mind gv does not support mms

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones