• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice News

Ugh.

I knew this was coming and may be worried for nothing but I hope they don't screw a good thing up. I use GV a lot for calls, it's the number anyone who isn't family has for me. Free outgoing (not VoIP) can't go away, I don't have unlimited minutes and use a ton of them.

I'll (like everyone) wait and see but I kinda have a bad feeling.

Ugh.

Reactions: saptech
Upvote 0
I don't get it but my GV with GrooveIP is still working, the wife just called my GV number and I talked to her. I did get message about updating GrooveIP but I didn't install it, it may stop it from working! :)

***EDIT***
Well, I rebooted the phone and that automatically updated GrooveIP, now I can't make those calls. I didn't think to set it up to not auto update.

What is the word from Google and Hangouts? I'm on Tmobile's $30 plan with 100 voice minutes and need to decide if I should upgrade to more minutes!

Upvote 0
I don't get it but my GV with GrooveIP is still working, the wife just called my GV number and I talked to her. I did get message about updating GrooveIP but I didn't install it, it may stop it from working! :)

***EDIT***
Well, I rebooted the phone and that automatically updated GrooveIP, now I can't make those calls. I didn't think to set it up to not auto update.

What is the word from Google and Hangouts? I'm on Tmobile's $30 plan with 100 voice minutes and need to decide if I should upgrade to more minutes!

Can't you just use Skype. You can sign up for unlimited minutes for about $3 a month, or pre-pay .23 cents a minute just to augment your 100 minute allotment. Is there anything stopping you from doing that? Doesn't give you a number and help you in receiving calls I know, but for outgoing, it would be fine. Yes?

Upvote 0
Can't you just use Skype. You can sign up for unlimited minutes for about $3 a month, or pre-pay .23 cents a minute just to augment your 100 minute allotment. Is there anything stopping you from doing that? Doesn't give you a number and help you in receiving calls I know, but for outgoing, it would be fine. Yes?

Skype's audio call quality is unforgivable, and requires a data connection so it will drop calls where a cell signal wouldn't.

Upvote 0
Here it is June 8 2014 and my Obi110 is still working fine receiving calls via Google Voice. I don't ever use it for outbound calls, just for filtering incoming spam calls. It's been working great for 1-1/2 years, and I dread the thought of having to change things and let all those spam calls ring through to my home phone.

Upvote 0
There's an update for GV now. They've added short code and fixed some bugs. Really? Maybe they are getting ready for more?

Edit: I don't use it for Wi-Fi/VoIP calling, it's very probable that that's what was 'fixed'.

'nother edit: Either I've gone mad (totally possible) or the changelog has changed. I KNOW it said they were adding shortcode so I tried to sign up for some text alerts. Yeah, not working. Went back to Play to view the changelog and, well, it's changed, says nothing about shortcode. Hmmmm.

Upvote 0
There's an update for GV now. They've added short code and fixed some bugs. Really? Maybe they are getting ready for more?

Edit: I don't use it for Wi-Fi/VoIP calling, it's very probable that that's what was 'fixed'.

'nother edit: Either I've gone mad (totally possible) or the changelog has changed. I KNOW it said they were adding shortcode so I tried to sign up for some text alerts. Yeah, not working. Went back to Play to view the changelog and, well, it's changed, says nothing about shortcode. Hmmmm.

Yeah, it sounds like any changes in this release were exceptionally minor: Google Voice Gets Its First Update In Nine Months With Almost Zero Changes [APK Download]

I'm still hoping that it gets merged seamlessly with Hangouts as an I/O present.

Upvote 0
They are up to something, why else would they update it with no real update? I really just hope none of the current functionality goes away, I use my GV number way more than my Verizon number. I don't use Hangouts at all and don't want to start, I've tried it but much prefer stand-alone standard texting and GV voicemail/texting. If it's seamless and works that'll be fine but I'm working on pre-panic anyway :)

Upvote 0
More news!

From http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/call-me-maybe-introducing-free-voice.html:

We know how important it is to keep in touch with friends and family, especially when they’re spread around the world. Hangouts already makes it easy to send a quick message, or start a group video chat. But sometimes it’s best to just call to say “I love you,” and with the new version of Hangouts you can.

Starting today you can make voice calls from Hangouts on Android, iOS and the web. It’s free to call other Hangouts users, it’s free to call numbers in the U.S. and Canada, and the international rates are really low. So keeping in touch is easier and more affordable than ever.

To get started on Android, just grab the new version of Hangouts (v2.3, rolling out over the next few days), then install the accompanying dialer to turn on voice calls. On iOS and the web, voice calls will be available the next time you open the app.

Link to that Hangouts Dialer, btw: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.hangoutsdialer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones