• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice on an Incredible on Verizon: some questions

bulwer

Lurker
May 2, 2010
I've got a Google Voice account which I plan to use as my only phone number.

1. I can set up the Voice app to be the only way I send/receive texts, and not pay any money whatsoever to Verizon for text service, right?

2. If someone calls my Voice number, how will I see that incoming call?

3. Will my phone's "real" number ever be exposed to anyone?

4. For people that are using GVoice as their primary phone service, how's it been working out for you in general? Anything you wish you'd known starting out?

Thanks for helping me out. I'm really psyched to be getting an Android phone, and I'm glad there's a bunch of folks willing to answer questions for the newbies.

(I decided to put this in the main forum because it's not really VZ or Incredible specific.)

1. I believe so- not 100% sure as I don't use it for txt.

2. Same as any other call- incoming calls via GV are routed to your cell (and/or home, office etc.) so essentially, GV is 'calling' your cell # too.

3. It shouldn't as long as you go into your GV app settings and set to 'use GV for all calls'. Also check out all the settings available via your computer- there's more stuff you can adjust for your account like adding other phones, voicemail options, etc.

4. I really like it, even though it's not actually my primary #. I use my carrier # for friends and fam, and the GV# for unknowns, businesses, likely spammers, etc. I use the voicemail for both my #'s which is handy.

Upvote 0
1. There is an option for you to have incoming text be forwarded to your cell number so just make sure that option is turned off.

2. the call is forwarded to your cell phone.

3. up to you.

4. I never remember my voice number, so I end up giving away my normal number. I have been getting better at it though. It works really well now that the texts are pushed, now receiving the texts a few seconds after i would a normal text.

Upvote 0
You can click settings in google voice app and say "Use Google voice for ALL calls" and it will hide your phones number and appear as your google voice number. This is what I do. Not a single person has my real phone number. I do this so I can have a single number to give out. Rings my office, home and cell no matter who is calling. PLUS, I can set up google voice to put some folks directly to voicemail. ALSO, I have certain numbers on a timer so my office phone won't ring after 3:30pm (when I leave) and to only ring it on weekdays. My home phone won't ring from 7am to 4pm so my wife is not disturbed by calls meant for me during the day.

I LOVE google voice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones