• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice on Droid Incredible

Anyone else running Google Voice yet? Seems to work just as well as it did on the Moto Droid.

Since you are using it, are you using the official Google Voice app? If so does that tell you the "intermediate" dial out number since it does not directly dial out through your Google Voice Number.

Also have you had any experience with GV Dialer (or AKA GV) or any other dialer program that does directly route through your Google Voice #? If so how do you like them and does using both the official app and the GV dialer result in duplicate call and message logs?

Thanks for any help or input.

Upvote 0
I just got Google Voice. How do I invite people? Can I?

And how do I set it up on my Incredible - do I need to do anything? I already set up my Voice account online.

You have to wait about 2 weeks to get 3 invites.

To set it up on your phone, go download the Google Voice app from the Market and install it, it will walk you through the setup process.

Upvote 0
Thanks, will do.

And when I set up my Google Voice account, it said I could use my existing number OR get a new Google # - but not both, is that correct?

It is my understanding that the only benefit of using my existing number is that I can get my Voicemails sent to me as an email or a text, and that is it...am I missing something here? Are there any other benefits?

Sorry I am a noob at this, any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Thanks, will do.

And when I set up my Google Voice account, it said I could use my existing number OR get a new Google # - but not both, is that correct?

It is my understanding that the only benefit of using my existing number is that I can get my Voicemails sent to me as an email or a text, and that is it...am I missing something here? Are there any other benefits?

I'm set up with both. I have my current cell phone set up to forward voice mail service through Google Voice, and I have my own Google Voice number. I'm not sure if they let new sign-ups have both anymore, by the sound of things.

As far as the benefits, they store and transcribe your voicemails for you to view on your computer/phone, and it sends the transcription to your email or as a text to your phone. There is also a decent amount of customization as far as voicemail goes, such as different greets for different numbers, and others that I can't think of right now.

Upvote 0
Thanks, will do.

Correct, you just get the voicemail features out of it.

Upvote 0
i set it up yesterday... just annoying getting text, email, and google voice app notice that i have a voice mail. I need to disable some of those... My issue is everytime i log into my google voice account on the computer it keeps acting like i didn't set it up yet and it says it has to call my phone to activate it.

Upvote 0
i set it up yesterday... just annoying getting text, email, and google voice app notice that i have a voice mail. I need to disable some of those... My issue is everytime i log into my google voice account on the computer it keeps acting like i didn't set it up yet and it says it has to call my phone to activate it.

You need to uncheck Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only) on your Incredible # in the Google Voice settings online.

Under Alert me when I have new voicemails, make sure it is all unchecked.

Uncheck Forward SMS messages to my email:

This way you should only receive push alerts from the Google Voice app itself.

Upvote 0
I just setup voice on my new Incredible (previous iPhone user here). Does anyone know of a way to send txts with something other than the google voice app? That app sucks imo for sending/receiving txt's. As a visual voicemail app, it's perfectly acceptable. I'd love to be able to use chompsms/handcent but it looks like those don't support voice. :(

Also, does anyone know if you can have separate sound notifications for a new voicemail compared to a new txt msg? I went into settings but could only find one notification sound setting. :(

Upvote 0
I just setup voice on my new Incredible (previous iPhone user here). Does anyone know of a way to send txts with something other than the google voice app? That app sucks imo for sending/receiving txt's. As a visual voicemail app, it's perfectly acceptable. I'd love to be able to use chompsms/handcent but it looks like those don't support voice. :(

Also, does anyone know if you can have separate sound notifications for a new voicemail compared to a new txt msg? I went into settings but could only find one notification sound setting. :(

No and no. I haven't found a way to use a different app to send texts but I don't mind it myself. And I also can't see a way to make the notifications different.

Upvote 0
Anyone else running Google Voice yet? Seems to work just as well as it did on the Moto Droid.

New to android, got my incredible earlier this week. My issue is one with integration between google apps like voice/gmail, and htc sense apps like people/messages.

Right now, messages that come in through google apps for gmail and voice, are not associated with the people listings in the sense slider thing, which is unfortunate.

I suppose if you are all using google's gmail app and the official google voice app, and don't care about integration with sense, then voice works beautifully. It even gives you the option to set it up so that you can always call out with google voice, never call out, or ask you each time you call someone. I'm just trying to figure out how to realize all the incredibles features, but it seems like it won't be easy without sacrificing some features you reap form google's officials apps. =/

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree with you bydh. I wish there was a way to fully integrate. I like the option to use GoogleVoice by default for calls, but I'd also like to use it by default for messages. It's not a big deal to just put the GVoice app on my Home screen and use it, but integration with the Sense widgets would be great.

Upvote 0
southpaw I believe if you open up the GV app and go to settings, you can set it so all calls made on the phone will use GV.

Hopefully the next iteration of the app will allow the same thing for text messages.
I had that option already, but now its working correctly, not sure what I did to fix it though.

My last thing now is that when I receive a sms to my GV number, the HTC message widget will also show that I have an unread message and I have to go into it also to reset it.

Upvote 0
I like the option to use GoogleVoice by default for calls, but I'd also like to use it by default for messages. It's not a big deal to just put the GVoice app on my Home screen and use it, but integration with the Sense widgets would be great.

Answered my own question. Here's my post from the Incredible Tips and Tricks Thread:

Set up GVoice to handle your text msgs:

Go to people, pick a contact, and choose the "Send message" option for their mobile number. You should get a window that asks what service to use - GVoice or Messaging. There is a check box at the bottom to make it your default. Tap the check box, then choose GVoice. All your text message should use GVoice now, unless you send one from the Messaging app.

I don't think they're going to show up in the Messaging app, though. I just put my GVoice App on the Home Screen and removed the Messaging app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones