• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice on Fascinate

Triska

Jun 5, 2010
Does Bing affect Google apps such as Google Voice and Voice Search? How do Google Maps work when it is not de-Binged? I don't know if I'll root, but I do really want to use those apps and for the moment, would just keep Bing at first. I've read posts on how to de-Bing and am wondering if it truly works or if it just hides Bing. If I get a SF, I want to be sure I can access all the Google apps easily with 3 or less clicks. This will be my first Android, so all this stuff is new to me. Bing is what really seems to be dragging the SF down in my book as I think Android should be all about Google.

I'm still looking for the deal-breaker between the SF and Dinc. I've researched it to death. . . well almost. lol

Reactions: Bam80
Does Bing affect Google apps such as Google Voice and Voice Search? How do Google Maps work when it is not de-Binged? I don't know if I'll root, but I do really want to use those apps and for the moment, would just keep Bing at first. I've read posts on how to de-Bing and am wondering if it truly works or if it just hides Bing. If I get a SF, I want to be sure I can access all the Google apps easily with 3 or less clicks. This will be my first Android, so all this stuff is new to me. Bing is what really seems to be dragging the SF down in my book as I think Android should be all about Google.

I'm still looking for the deal-breaker between the SF and Dinc. I've researched it to death. . . well almost. lol

If the write ups on this site arent enough help there's a couple video tutorials on youtube that should make it a piece of cake for you.

Just search fascinate google

Upvote 0
Just set up GV and I'm LOVING it!

I love the customized greetings (waiting for my parents to call and be like "WTF, How did you do that?")

I love that I can see on my phone who it is that called and get a rough translation (even though it's really REALLY wrong).

I love that the translation, even though it is wrong, adds comedic value to my day. Seriously, those things are hilarious.

My favorite is that I can delete voicemails from my phone without calling and listening to them! This is the BEST feature. No matter how many times I've explained it to my parents, they still don't understand that, if I don't answer, that doesn't mean I didn't see that you called. Leaving me a voicmail that says:

"Hi It's your Mom, it's wednesday about 5:30. Just seeing what you are up to, give me a call back"

Just pisses me off cause then I have to (well had to using the VZW VM service), call my voicemail, listen to any saved ones that they wanted to delete, listen to your whole message, delete it, then call you back....

I CAN SEE THAT YOU CALLED ME... I CAN SEE WHAT DAY/TIME YOU CALLED ME... YOU DO NOT have to leave me a message!!!

But no matter how many times I explained it to them, they didn't get it... It was ingrained into their heads that if someone didn't answer you HAD to leave a message.

So this is THE BEST!

Disclaimer:
I've only been using GV for a couple of days so this is just my first impression. It hasn't yet done anything to tick me off...yet.

Upvote 0
I think I spoke too soon. Having trouble with GV on the Fascinate - when I originate and send texts, it always errors out and says Text Not Sent. But then I get responses to the texts, so I know it's working. I can respond to texts fine with no error messages. Also, when I call with GV, I have it set to ask me each time whether or not to use it. Each time it calls out, it gives me a fast busy signal on the first attempt, but works fine the 2nd try. Weird, not a deal breaker - but just curious if anyone else is having issues with it.

Upvote 0
Just set up GV and I'm LOVING it!

I love the customized greetings (waiting for my parents to call and be like "WTF, How did you do that?")

I love that I can see on my phone who it is that called and get a rough translation (even though it's really REALLY wrong).

I love that the translation, even though it is wrong, adds comedic value to my day. Seriously, those things are hilarious.

My favorite is that I can delete voicemails from my phone without calling and listening to them! This is the BEST feature. No matter how many times I've explained it to my parents, they still don't understand that, if I don't answer, that doesn't mean I didn't see that you called. Leaving me a voicmail that says:

"Hi It's your Mom, it's wednesday about 5:30. Just seeing what you are up to, give me a call back"

Just pisses me off cause then I have to (well had to using the VZW VM service), call my voicemail, listen to any saved ones that they wanted to delete, listen to your whole message, delete it, then call you back....

I CAN SEE THAT YOU CALLED ME... I CAN SEE WHAT DAY/TIME YOU CALLED ME... YOU DO NOT have to leave me a message!!!

But no matter how many times I explained it to them, they didn't get it... It was ingrained into their heads that if someone didn't answer you HAD to leave a message.

So this is THE BEST!

Disclaimer:
I've only been using GV for a couple of days so this is just my first impression. It hasn't yet done anything to tick me off...yet.

If that makes you happy wait till you learn how to block callers:D. When you use it they get the "This number is no longer in use" message just like VZW would do..

And you can do some really fun stuff with custom messages :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
When I used Google Voice it worked fine for a week or so. But then all of a sudden I could not receive incoming calls through Verizon or GV. I talked to Verizon tech support and they got it so my house phone could call me but no one else could get through. it sent them straight to voice mail. So I reset the phone and this time didn't reinstall GV. So far I get all the incoming calls made to me. I don't know if I want to risk reinstalling GV again. I only used it for texting, but I can just use Yahoo Messenger for that since I don't do much texting anyways. Does anyone have any similar situations like mine while using Google Voice?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones