1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Voice: Prefer default SMS app over GV's handling of texts (can it be disabled?)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by abmoit, May 4, 2011.

1. abmoit

abmoit Lurker

I've been using Google Voice since December, but it only did voicemail up until the Sprint integration (which, of course, I opted in for). Because my text messages weren't showing up in GV before, I assumed there was an option to turn this off/on and that I simply didn't have it enabled. After all, it is called Google Voice and not Google Message Center.

From what I've read on here, it seems most people only want SMS through Google Voice. I, on the other hand do not find the SMS interface all that attractive. I hope this isn't considered blasphemy to other GV users :p

I've disabled the notifications from the GV app, but I haven't discovered a way to disable them from going to my GV app or site. Is it safe to assume that there is no way to disable this and use only the 'voice' part of GV? I just don't want to have to delete text messages from both my SMS app and GV as well.

Advertisement

2. kingp

kingp Well-Known Member

You can check under your GV account settings (on the GV website) for your phone, there should be an option to disable SMS on your phone. This will stop GV SMS from taking over your default SMS app on the phone. You can still use the GV app to send SMS if you like.

dabigcheezze likes this.
  3. erkme73

erkme73 Newbie

Don't know about anyone else, but that suggestion does not work for me. With integration on, my phone gets duplicate SMS. Even with that checkbox off.

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

If you go to Google Voice settings, then click Edit for whichever phone you either want or don't want to receive and SMS on, you will see an option that says "Receive text messages on this phone". When checked, you will get an actual SMS on that phone when someone sends a text to your GV number (which is now your Sprint number). If you uncheck that, you will not get an actual SMS message on that particular phone. No matter what, you will still get the SMS message in GV, itself. That means, if you have the GV app, you will get a GV notification. If you have both the SMS option checked, and the GV app set to notify, you will get double notifications. If you only want to get an SMS, but not a GV notification, you must disable notifications for GV in the GV app. Note that if you do that, you will stop getting voicemail notifications. You *can* set it to send SMS messages for voicemail, though, if you like. Unfortunately, there is no way to not get notifications for GV SMS message in the app and get voicemail notifications. Google still has some work to do before everything is truly integrated.

jhietter, dabigcheezze and KENNECTED like this.
  5. slinky22

slinky22 Lurker

This is frustrating. I really like the handcent app for SMS, but right now, here's what happens when someone sends me a text:
    Handcent app notifies me of the text.
    GoogleVoice app notifies me of the text.

I don't want to give up the ability to listen to voice messages on my phone, though, so I guess I must suffer silently. Except I just whined about it here.

6. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

The GV app on the phone will always show everything that's on your GV account. You can turn the notification off on the GV app and the notification on for the default messaging app.

7. abmoit

abmoit Lurker

This is true. Unfortunately you don't get notifications for voicemail either. I have missed voicemails because of this. I downgraded to the standard GV account for the time being.

8. armandov99

armandov99 Member

How did you do this 'downgrade'?

I'm frustrated with how confusing this all became. I'm pretty tech savvy but GV is confusing the hell out of me right now.

A couple months ago I had it all set to ONLY use GV for outgoing international calls. Everything else was through Sprint.

Then I updated my software and when reinstallying GV suddenly the option to 'integrate' also took over my phone and used my GV number for outgoing calls as well as text. Took me forever to get it to where I had my own number from Sprint that I've had for 4 years, but now my GV number is gone and lost, I can't have both anymore. Plus, stupid GV took over my text messaging which I didn't want.

This sucks. How did you 'downgrade' and what was the end result?

9. abmoit

abmoit Lurker

To 'downgrade', you have to opt out of GV altogether, and sign back up for it and choose the 'lite' version which only does Voicemail. However, you won't get all the cool features that come with the complete package. It's straight up voicemail with transcription through the GV app.

10. armandov99

armandov99 Member

Thanks, So you can't make international calls from the phone using GV in that case?

11. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

U can have it send u a text or email when u get a voicemail. That's what I did. And that text or email will include the transcription.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews
Tags: