• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

google voice problems

I've been using google voice exclusively for a few months now, here's what I can tell you from my experience:

Any text message sent and received through the GV app is free, it won't touch your verizon plan at all -no strings attached.

You can't get the built in messaging program or handscent to work with your google voice #, if you send and receive a message through one of those programs, it'll touch your verizon plan and you get charged a txt msg for it. This is true even if you're using the 406-xxx-xxxx number that google voice assigns to everyone.

I learned this lesson the hard way. After trying to get it setup (I really wanted to use handscent), trying to use the 406 #'s, and trying every other setting combination I could think of, my bill at the end of the month was outrageous because the txts touched my verizon plan and I went WAY over.

I simply had to use my GV number and use the GV app exclusively -no strings attached.

Upvote 0
Ok, update on this.

Apparently I am getting charged for many of the text that went through GV last month. None of them were showing up on the running average in my Verizon account or on my online bill (wasn't updated apparently), but my paper bill shows that I am getting charged for about 50% of the text I sent last month. No idea why I am getting charged for some of them and not others though. I guess the best way to do this for free is to just get them over email after all.

On a side note, my data changed online and on my paper bill too. It is now showing a total of 4760941 Kb used, which equals 4.54 Gb. That sounds a little more accurate to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones