• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice Settings

HatTrick327

Jun 4, 2010
Alright,

There has got to be away to make google voice act ONLY as visual voicemail. This means no text through google voice, no sms notifications for voicemail, and no duplicate messages on ANYTHING.

Ill be playing with the settings at work today and see if I can figure out the exact settings to make it a voicemail only client. I will post back when I figure it out.

If anyone else has already found these settings, please share them with us....

I certainly hope there is a way to use GV for visual voicemail only. I've only briefly fiddled with the settings - but so far receive duplicate notifications whenever a text message is sent to either my Cell number or my GV number. If I turn off some of the notifications it prohibits me from receiving text messages at one or the other.

I too will try to do some testing today & check back for results!

Samsung Nexus S 4G on Sprint ... I've selected to use my GV number to "replace" my mobile number.

Upvote 0
Yes i found the settings for it.

Here is what I did:
I was just going through my NS4G setup and when I went into google voice app it took over my phone. so I went to the website and disabled Sprint's integration. That stopped the phone from using my google voice number. Then I enabled Google voice mail option on this phone right below the sprint's integration. now everything is working properly. SMS/MMS and phone calls go via my Sprint number and Voice mail gets answered by google voice and then it gets sent and transcribed to my google voice app on my phone.

Upvote 0
1) Activate google voice on your phone and follow prompts.
2)Go to google.com/voice
3)Login
4)Click on wheel on top right (settings)
5) Deactivate Google voice on your sprint phone - Step1 in picture.
6) Click Activate google voicemail on this phone - step2 in picture

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 11.57.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 11.57.14 PM.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0
Hey Kalex, I don't have those setting either. This is what I have (in the attachment).

It's worth noting that I played with the settings so that I turned off all google voice notifications and syncing on the phone, and checked "receive text messages" in the google voice website, and also checked "receive text for voicemail."

With these settings, I get to use my sms/mms application without extra google voice notifications for sms (though they still load in the gv app when you open it), and I get a text to notify me when I get a voicemail. I can completely keep google voice closed, but still use it as a voicemail to open when I want, and close when I want.

Stupid workaround I know ... but that's how I have dealt with it, and still love my phone.

Attachments

• My settings - google voice.jpg
    My settings - google voice.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
Hey Kalex, I don't have those setting either. This is what I have (in the attachment).

It's worth noting that I played with the settings so that I turned off all google voice notifications and syncing on the phone, and checked "receive text messages" in the google voice website, and also checked "receive text for voicemail."

With these settings, I get to use my sms/mms application without extra google voice notifications for sms (though they still load in the gv app when you open it), and I get a text to notify me when I get a voicemail. I can completely keep google voice closed, but still use it as a voicemail to open when I want, and close when I want.

Stupid workaround I know ... but that's how I have dealt with it, and still love my phone.

That is what mine looks like too.

Upvote 0
Yep Google voice lite is what I use. U need to disable sprint/google voice marriage. Look at the first option in your screen shot. There is a link to disable it. Thats what I used. Just a note: in my case I wanted to keep my GV and sprint numbers separate. So thats what I did. I think if u click disable google voice /sprint stuff you will get an option for google voice lite (ie voicemail only).

Upvote 0
I cant get google voice to work neither on the computer or on my phone. I've tried contacting google directly but its nearly impossible to send out a question about a specific issue ( in my case)

Before the obvious is asked.
I have a NexusS4G.
I've tried setting up google voice on the phone.
I've tried setting up google voice lite on the computer.
I want to use my Sprint number as my google voice number.

I've been waiting for the Sprint and Google Voice integration to go live moreover since i miss my visual voicemail and the only way that i can get it bak on the nexus is using google voice. but its not working!!!!!

help troubleshooting this problem would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Naw ive had sprint for a total of 10 years now ( i did switch from sprint stateside to Sprint in PR 3 years ago because having 954 as area code where everyone else had 787 was a killer for everyone else)

I don't think my phone is glitchy tho so reseting it doesnt seem like it would resolve anything... i'm assuming... unless other people fixed this issue by reseting the phone.

Upvote 0
I really got myself all confused setting up google voice for my voicemail. I want my sprint number to be my google voice number but I don't think it is now. When I first went to google voice on my computer to remove the sprint integration like was said if I only wanted my voicemail going thru google voice. After doing that I don't get any of the options under settings anymore like in any of the screen shots posted here, only language and timezone so I can't even reintegrate if I wanted to. My google voice number on my phone under settings is not my sprint number.

Upvote 0
Naw ive had sprint for a total of 10 years now ( i did switch from sprint stateside to Sprint in PR 3 years ago because having 954 as area code where everyone else had 787 was a killer for everyone else)

I don't think my phone is glitchy tho so reseting it doesnt seem like it would resolve anything... i'm assuming... unless other people fixed this issue by reseting the phone.

There is your problem. Corporate, government and PR customers can't use GV yet

Upvote 0
Did u click on spinning wheel thingie on top right?

It is showing more tabs now. The first time I went into settings I clicked to disable sprint integration (the very first item shown). Then when I would go back I'd only have 2 tabs for billing and account, but now phones, voicemail, ect are also showing up so maybe it just took a while after setting up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones