• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice, someone break it down for me

noahj1102

Sep 21, 2011
Here is my situation...

I've bought a Nexus 5 for myself and looking for a Nexus 4 for the wife.

We are on Sprint, with one phone out of contract and the other paying an early termination to get out.

I'm planning on taking both of these to T Mobile $30 prepaid.

Now, we both use more than 100 minutes a month. She is about 400 and I'm about 300.

Therefore, I'm trying to figure out this whole Google Voice/Groove IP thing.

I made a free Google Voice account and got a number. From there, I'm lost on how to use it.

We both would just want to keep our cell numbers and use Google Voice for minutes.

So, #1 How do we keep our cell numbers.

#2 How do you make a call? Through the Google Voice app? Groove IP app? How much calling can you make before you start eating into your data cap?

We only want this for cell use. How the heck does it work?

I'll give this a shot. I haven't used Groove IP but did use Talkatone, which are similar. It's been awhile since I've used it now that I have unlimited talk time.

#1 You can port your number over to GV for a fee, I think it's about $10. I would test it out with GV number before porting, to make sure it works out for you.

#2 Yes, you use Groove IP dialer to make calls. To receive calls, in GV settings you need to forward calls to the cell number. Look through GV & GIP settings and decide what you may need to check or uncheck. Trial & error to start.

I'm not sure if you're using the free or paid version, so the free version may be limited in what it can and can't do. If you like it enough to keep, it may be worth while to pay for the Pro version.

It shouldn't use your cell minutes and use wifi the most when possible. If you can use data, it does apply to any data charges you may have, unless you have unlimited data.

Hope this help, someone will be alone to offer more/better help.

Reactions: claire t
Upvote 0
Google voice is by default a call forwarding service. Someone calls your G-Voice number, and it forwards the call to your actual cell number to then be received or denied. Texts can also be forwarded to your cell number, though that is a feature that needs to be enabled via settings on a browser. MMS is not supported. Making or receiving a call via G-Voice in this mode uses your minutes.

Developers have been able to utilize G-Voice and essentially turn it into a fully functional number(minus mms) through various app. GrooveIP allows one to make calls over WiFi (or mobile data if you buy the premium version). You would open up the GrooveIP and use the dialer to make a call. To receive a call through GrooveIP, you need to open up settings in the browser and select to forward calls to GMail rather than the mobile number. Calls made or received using this mode use data rather than minutes.

Upvote 0
There are changes coming to GV, although it's not clear exactly what they are. I'm really concerned that it may not be as useful in the future. I use it with Google Voice Callback and enjoy free calls, I really hope I'll still be able to do that.

"Beyond that, Singhal also confirmed that Google will now be more heavily enforcing its Terms of Service and cracking down on third-party apps that offer unauthorized calling and SMS services through Google Voice. Those app makers will apparently have until May 15, 2014 to transition their users to another service."

Google says it's cracking down on third-party Google Voice apps, expanding SMS support in Hangouts early next year

Upvote 0
There are changes coming to GV, although it's not clear exactly what they are. I'm really concerned that it may not be as useful in the future. I use it with Google Voice Callback and enjoy free calls, I really hope I'll still be able to do that.

"Beyond that, Singhal also confirmed that Google will now be more heavily enforcing its Terms of Service and cracking down on third-party apps that offer unauthorized calling and SMS services through Google Voice. Those app makers will apparently have until May 15, 2014 to transition their users to another service."

Google says it's cracking down on third-party Google Voice apps, expanding SMS support in Hangouts early next year

Along with these changes, Google is shutting down its use of the XMPP protocol, which is what allows apps like GrooveIP to route VoIP calls through Google Talk. (source)

As Google just rolled out Voice Calling in the iOS version of Hangouts, I don't think that we'll just be SOL though. Voice Calling is supposed to be coming to the Android version of Hangouts in the coming weeks/months, and I imagine that we'll still be able to use Google Voice to forward incoming calls to that as well. I'm very hopeful that Google will eventually tie that Hangouts-powered voice calling in to the stock Android SIP client (so that we can natively and transparently handle VoIP calls) but that may be a bit of a pipe dream.

At the least, you can always use a third-party VoIP service in conjunction with GV - you'll just need a DID (or phone number) associated with the SIP service, and you can then add that phone number into your GV forwarding settings.

So these are definitely big changes, but I believe that they will ultimately be for the best and will make GV a real solution as opposed to a sort of hack.

Upvote 0
One caveat: GV will not work as voicemail for a TMO phone number if you are on the TMO prepaid plan.

Might not be a problem if you are doing VOIP, but something to be aware of.

Correct. T-Mobile prepaid does not support Conditional Call Forwarding, so it can't forward unanswered calls to the GV voicemail system. The workaround is to disable the carrier's voicemail service on the line and then only hand out the GV number. All unanswered vcalls made to the GV number will then correctly end up in the GV voicemail system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones