1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Voice Update 8/31/11

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lexluthor, Aug 31, 2011.

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Whoa, big google voice update today!

There's a new option under sync and notificaitons that says Receive text messages and choices are Only via the Google Voice app and Also via the messaging app.

If you choose the second option, the messages come in through your stock messaging app!!!

The test I did showed a 202# as the originating phone number. I guess that's the "fake" number google assigns so you can route texts back to people. Not sure how to originate a first message to someone out of the stock app, but this is huge!

I think many of us are sick of using the GV app for texting and would love to use google voice or the like.

Please others test this and report back.

Saltine713 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

On second thought, I'm not sure how valuable this will be at all.

If a text comes into my google voice number and it goes into my Go SMS app where it shows the 202# and then I reply to that number, the recipient will see it being from my google voice number, but if I'm sending the text though Go SMS, isn't in then using my carrier texting plan and not google voice to send?

What's the point of it going into Go SMS at all then if I can't have a threaded conversation all using a data connection and not using up carrier texts?

So basically, we can get google voice texts into whatever your system default messaging client is, but you can't reply back unless you are ok with it being charged as a text.

Am I missing something?

3. joggy

joggy Well-Known Member

But...notifications seem to work better in this update at least. I hardly received notifs for voicemails in earlier versions, but in this new version it's almost instant.

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

I must have been pretty confused. If you set the "Also via the messaging app", both incoming and outgoing texts are charged against your carrier texting plan.

Oh well, that would have been nice.

ChompSMS developer did respond to me a while back that they are looking into google voice integration.

I don't get why no one has done that yet.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

Am I the only one still using 0.3.4 in order to get cheap unlimited minutes?

6. les017

les017 Newbie

Yes you are. LOL. I use the current GV but set it to "never use GV to make calls". Instead I use FlexDialer to script the call to my GV number>enter pin>press 2 to dial number>insert desired number.

Sure it takes a few extra seconds for the phone to initiate the call, but I never again need to worry about whether GV uses a static 406 number to dial out.

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Google Voice Callback automates that for you and works very well. There is a free version but it's certainly worth the $3 donation.
    Dial the number and wait for it to call back, it will even 'answer' for you, no need to press 2 etc. Nice app, check it out.

8. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert

Yes... this is what I use...

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

I got the new Google Voice update on my Droid X (stock/rooted 2.3) and am having problem with notifications.

I have vibrate, ringtone, light notification bar icon all on in the settings.

Frequently, when I get a text, I get the vibrate and the notification light blinks once. I don't get my notification ringtone and there's no notification icon. Obviously, that's a big problem. If I don't hear the initial vibrate, I have no way to know I have a text unless I open up the app.

I went back to the previous Google Voice version and I don't have this issue.

Anyone else having similar issues?

10. elemteacher2be

elemteacher2be Well-Known Member

I got so excited when I read your first post!!!

I updated and other than the inbox looking slightly different (I think), I haven't noticed anything.

Before and after the update sometimes the vibrate will come before the sound notification. A lot of the time I'm on my computer and the ding from the GV app on GChrome will come before the phone gets the message - sometimes there is a delay of 10-15 seconds until my phone gets it.

I have the Nexus S - so no notification light for me.

11. Clementine_3

VIP Member

I haven't updated with today's version yet, too many similar issues in comments. I did update a few days ago, that one is fine.

12. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast

I updated it and it works fine. I have my contacts set to text out of Google Voice, but call out of my actual cell #. Brilliant idea.

13. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

What? Have there been 2 updates recently? If so, then i'm not sure which one i'm having the problem with.

14. Clementine_3

VIP Member

The latest is 0.4.2.36, the previous one is 0.4.2.34. I ended up updating and it's fine.

15. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

4.2.36 notifications are still not working for me.

16. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert

Is anyone having issues with voice delay after updating? I used to be able to hold a conversation just fine while using GV in a low strength area; now, there is a noticeable .5 to 1 second delay between when I say something and the other person hears it.

17. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast

Is this thru the data or voice connection?

18. Scur

Scur Android Expert

Here's a GV question. Can I have a call that made to GV come through without having to hit 1 or 2 after I pick up, and how do I do it exactly? I'm using Cricket, so I can't have the carrier use GV option, and there's no option with Cricket to lengthen or shorten the time before voicemail kicks in. My phone's voicemail always just records "press 1 to accept, press 2 to ignore." I'd like their voicemail messages to my GV number to be in my phone's voicemail. Is there a work around for this using Google Voice callback?

19. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Android Enthusiast

I have issues and I'm on an N1. I have mine set to also use Handcent SMS. If it weren't for that, I'd never know I had a text. I get no light, no vibrate and definitely no sound or notification in the status bar from Voice. Also, when I go to open Voice, there is a lag that's long enough to make one wonder if they even pressed it.

I'm also not impressed with the continuous bloat on Google's apps. They are the worst offender. I've been doing fine managing the built-in memory until this update and Google +.