• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice voicemail problem?

If this is not the right place to ask this feel free to tell me where to go... (gently please though. :D )

I'm having trouble enabling Google Voice voice mail on my LG L39C. I have a Google Voice account and phone number for my phone. Someone left me a voice mail on my GV number and I couldn't get it on my phone. I read and found out that I needed to set up the phone to enable GV voicemail on the phone so I'm trying to do that.

I go into the Google Voice settings
Select : This Phones number
then on
Add this phone and I get a "Verify your number" popup dialog that says

"Google Voice will now verify your phone number by sending a text message from your phone to the Google Voice Service .... "

I pick "ok" and then get a "verifying your phone number" but nothing else ever happens and I'm returned to the Google Voice setup screen. If I then select "This phone's number" it shows only my phones number and not my Google Voice number for selection.

I hope this makes sense... does anyone have a clue why it may not be verifying my GV number? I've tried it with WIFI and without WIFI on - no difference.

I can place and receive calls and texts so I know I have good signal.

Any idea what I'm missing?

Well, I meant to post that but things are a bit whacko 'round these parts and I just plumb forgot. Sorry 'bout that Chief. ;)

Just for the record - Problem statement:
I have a Verizon Phone number: 8451112222
And a Google Voice Number : 8453334444

People were calling 8453334444 and leaving voice messages and I was having trouble getting the messages on my phone.

I first went to: This link first, which was about as useful as an ashtray on a jetski

Then from my HOST Google Voice page->Settings->Phones section I saw a link for "Activate Google Voicemail for this phone" which ended up with this popup. So I did it from my phone.

It will give you a popup with a number to dial. The blurry part will be your GOOGLE VOICE phone number - at least it was for me:
Voicemail_zpscf6a73dc.jpg

It's working so I "assume" that's what did it. BTW, the "learn more" link just resolves to the first link above.

Now I get the messages on my phone plus I turned on transcripts so I get an email with the transcript as well as the sound

Upvote 0
But... they're probably just going to screw the whole thing up when going to hangouts which I'm dreading. I have free texting while connected with wifi through Messaging + Google Voice. I see guys saying they have free outgoing calls using Google Voice on wifi but I decided not to pursue that with the pending changes. I'll just have to go through the pain of figuring out a new system anyhow so why bother.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones