1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Voice vs WeChat on the same phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dan330, Jul 17, 2013.

1. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

first.. I have a S3.. rooted and ROMed

I am currently using Google voice for my texting and voice messages and don't plan on getting rid of it. GVoice use my cell number.

some friends want me to use WeChat .. for push to talk part of it.
    WeChat also wants to use my cell number for the account.

does that mean it will have a conflict?
    if someone text me to my cell number.. with it go to both apps?????

Advertisement

2. dan330

update: answer

they work separately and do not conflict.

what is sent in WeChat is handled by WeChat.

DonB and funkylogik like this.
  3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Thanks for the update, and how is the push to talk working, better then the other apps out there ?? Such as Tilk, Zello, etc..

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

WeChat is a Chinese service, and is separate to Google Voice. Anything that goes to Google Voice will not go to WeChat, and vice-versa.

I use WeChat for push to talk and IM everyday. Seems to work very well. I also use it for micro-blogging as well. As WeChat is a Chinese app and uses servers in the PRC, I wouldn't use it for any state secrets...if you know what I mean.

AFAIK you don't have to register your phone number with it, because it's completely on the internet. But I put mine in anyway, makes it easier for students to find me.

dan330 and funkylogik like this.
  5. DonB

Great good to know as I wast just going to ask how tablet users would be able to use it so I assume they would simply create an account online and then login with that ID

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Yup, the phone number bit is just for easy searching, since they can cross reference the numbers you have in your contact list with existing we chat users, and would auto-search them for you. Kind of like how Viber does it.

dan330 likes this.
  7. dan330

WeChat works pretty good... stable.

push to talk works great.. and can have group conversations.

and many features. I like it.

DonB likes this.
  8. DonB

Looks like there are only 2 ways to login

How do I register?

You can log in to WeChat with your Facebook account or sign up with your phone number.

9. dan330

I just gave them my phone number... sure hope it don't bite me in the butt..

there seems to be a lot of Positive remarks.

DonB likes this.
  10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

They might have changed it or it's the international version. I first registered with WeChat a year ago when it was just Chinese. Before it was called WeChat and it just had its Chinese name, WeiXin 微信...which literally means "micro message".

If one is registering in China, think you now register using your phone number or QQ account. WeChat and QQ are both from Tencent of Shenzhen. The phone number can be used to help friends find you on WeChat, if you set that option, or it can be used for logging in.

BTW if anyone of you recent WeChat users wants to find me, My WeChat ID is MichaelDav7111 or can find with QQ number 1292169683. :)

DonB likes this.
  11. dan330

while in a live push to talk group chat with friends... how do you add another friend to the conversation???