1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

google voice... why?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by 91Firebirder, Jun 5, 2011.

1. 91Firebirder

91Firebirder Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    Male
    Metro Atlanta
    I like to think i stay up to date with current, useful technology, and it seems alot of people have google voice. So can someone explain to me why I should get it... why do I need it? why is it so useful? etc. Thanx and I look forward to you explaining it to me so I can play around with it.

Advertisement

2. Eddie Bombay

Eddie Bombay Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    It gives your phone advance calling and voice mail functionality. With it you can also visually navigate between voice mails & can send free SMS w/o being charged from your provider.

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    I just use it for the visual voice mail functionality.

4. Nightfall

Nightfall Well-Known Member
    None

May 12, 2010
    Same here. Visual Voicemail for free is awesome. :)

5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    I love not having to dial a phone number to get my voicemail and the ability to delete telemarketing messages without ever listening to them. So MUCH easier to manage your voicemails.
    The transscript is hit or miss but always seems to get phone numbers that people leave correct which is very useful.

...moved this to the "applications" forum

6. alarson83

alarson83 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    I also use mine for business, its nice to be able to download an mp3 of the voicemail and forward on if needed (rather than trying to re-explain what someone wants)

7. davidchsw

davidchsw Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    I use my Google voice number to ring my cell phone during the day and cell plus home phone at night and weekends. All missed calls are handled by Google voice which is better than the carriers voice mail. I can have certain numbers ring certain phones. I can have different voice mail greetings for certain contacts. I can send SMS from my phone or computer. I can see all of my SMS messages on the computer. I can block or send straight to voice mail certain numbers. I can make calls from my computer. It's too bad the carriers wouldn't include all these services Google gives for free.

8. regression

regression Android Expert

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    Memphis, TN
    I live in a different state than the rest of my family. I use Google Voice so they can call me for free. When I choose my GV number, I picked one local for them. Also, the visual voice mail is great as others have mentioned.

9. melissapugs

melissapugs Android Enthusiast
    None

my carrier (virgin) won't forward anything, so I don't use it strictly for voice (which eats minutes with most setups anyway). But I DO use it to send SMS over wifi in areas with little or no coverage.

10. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    One other cool featre not mentioned above (I think) is that you can use Google Voice, in conjunction with a SIP app like SIPDroid to make free Voice-Over-WiFi phone calls to anywhere in the US (from anywhere in the world) or receive calls anywhere in the world, without using cell minutes, as long as you have a WiFi connection.

I think perhaps the hip selling points for Google Voice are that you can have one phone number which you can set to forward to your cell, home-phone, work-phone, etc. And you can set up rules for where to ring when, or remotely change where it rings so that phone number can "follow you around". And then there are those cool voice mail services like visual voice mail and speech-to-text.

I'm sure that eventually they'll charge for it, but it's free for now. And for many of us that means free long distance calls.

11. icn4d

icn4d Member
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    I like google voice and have had it since the invite days. it is great, however I will say that it can be surprising spotty for downloading VM messages after they are received and the app in general is pretty klunky. (No Delete off the Message Screen?) They obviously put this together on the fly and haven't done any updates in a year at least.

I like it and will continue to use it but it is not the end all...it could use some dev work for sure.

12. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Can't tell you why you should. The GV site is chock full of info and other sites such as Gizmodo have written guides on GV.

YMMV but for me, the tools for handling unwanted calls are a major point. I can have callers presented with a "number not in service message". I can choose to have them sent straight to voicemail and have the voicemail automatically deleted all without my knowledge.

The multiple phone ring feature is a plus for me as I work in a tower in downtown Houston and no carrier has perfect coverage in my building.

Call transfer is handy for end of the day teleconferences so I don't have to sit in my office for no reason.

The GV site is a big plus. I can read transcribed voicemails, listen to voicemail, forward voicemail via email, send and receive SMS with or without my phone (handy when I forget it), etc.

This probably won't apply to most but I found the virtualization of my number handy when switching carriers and not porting my number. I didn't want anyone to have the new carrier number as I wanted to force everyone to switch. Those calling my GV number never noticed that I had 2 devices on that number nor did they notice when I removed the old device. I can keep my GV number without having to deal with porting.

As I said, I can't tell you if you should get it. That's a call that you need to make for yourself. Really, you just need to look at the features and see if they suit you. It's no different than evaluating anything else. IMO it never hurts to try out something for yourself. You can test it out without switching everyone over to your GV number. If you find that you still don't see the point then don't use it. You can receive and make calls via your carrier number normally even if you do set up GV.

I've had very little problems with the app.

As for deleting off the message list, you're overlooking the longpress (commonly overlooked in all of Android).

13. obaoba

obaoba Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Great info all of you, especcialy Takeshi.

The ultimate question is: Is GV a full voice service replacement for my Voice (VoIP) service provider ??

I would like to leave aside the "FOR FREE" issue for a moment, and focus on the service itself.

I have had VoicePulse for the last 3 years, and save the occasional contiouns fast busy on long distance call terminations, (which by the way, VoicePulse's excellent customer ticketing service solve in matter of hours), the service has been excellent and the customer service even better, to say the least.
    This is of course let's not forget, a PAID service ($12.99/Month flat rate for all domestic calls), but once again, let's leave that aside for the moment.

The issue is whether GV can be a seamless replacement for dedicated voice carrier service. ?????????

I question whether it has the robustness of a real Voice Service provider's scope.

I would greatly appreciate any comments on actually comparing GV to a regular Service Provider, like say Vonage for example or VoicePulse, and of course leave to the side the issue of PAID vs. FREE service (that is an given).

Many thanks to any replies from the forum.

14. obaoba

obaoba Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Another inportant question that addresses the above;

Can I configure a SIP hardware end point (say like a Sipura box) that either connects to my home telephone, or to a SIP telephone set itself ?

Thanks,

15. davidchsw

davidchsw Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Google Voice is not meant to be a voip replacement or alternative. It can be used in that manner, but I don't think it as reliable as a stand alone service.
    The basic premise for Google Voice was to have one number ring multiple phones.

16. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Wow, lots of good information and not one snarky comment about how Google Voice has been out for 2 years (at least).

I use it to have one number all the time, to be able to filter calls, and receive calls wherever I am. I travel a lot, switch phones a lot, but always have access to my voicemail/text messages online (at minimum) and I don't have to keep giving out new numbers.

17. xdmds

xdmds Newbie
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    I have a Data only plan with tmobile so i use gv for sms and voice calls for free.

18. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    Care to tell us how you got a data only plan for an android phone? I have been trying to find a way, but the reps keep shooting me down.