• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice will NOT open apps

surgerush

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2011
New York State
I don't get it, no matter what command I give, Google Voice just won't open any apps, it only wants to try to bring me to a website. I'd say maybe it had something to do with something I froze, but I seem to remember having the same problem before I rooted the phone, I just didn't care then. Is everybody else having this problem? Any ideas?

Really no matter what command I give about pretty much anything, it always either wants to bring me to a web page or it just does a Google search of what I said, it doesn't do what I think it's supposed to do.

It does calls, navigation, texting all fine, but all the other cool stuff it's supposed to do, it just does not do.

Try the Voice Control app. I have the free version loaded; it gives you six commands that you configure phonetically. The paid version gives you lots more. I've configured mine so that when I say 'phone' it opens Talkatone. When I say "to do" it opens Wunderlist.

Not quite as awesome as "call Dave" which a properly operating Google will open the phone app AND place the call, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones