1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Google Voice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by buffpac5, Nov 6, 2009.

1. buffpac5

buffpac5 New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Hello all, new to the forum, android, and smart phones. My Droid is going to be arriving Monday and I want to be able to hit the ground running.

I am really excited to finally be getting a new piece of technology. I have been trying to find a solid answer to this question... is Google Voice a VoIP app? If not, are there are VoIP apps currently available

I am wondering because I want to be able to use(or not use) my plan minutes efficiently.

Any help regarding Google Voice or VoIP's for the Droid would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Google voice will use your plan minutes. It's not totally unlike a VOIP for somethings, unfortunately it is not a workaround for avoiding minute usage.

3. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Google Voice uses VoIP, but doesn't replace a phone. Check out Gizmo 5 or Truphone. Gizmo 5 integrates with GV.

4. QuesoGrande

QuesoGrande Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Doh! Really?? I always thought you could use GV over a data connection without using minutes. I thought that was the cause of the big uproar and why the AT&T/Apple axis was blocking it from the iPhone. If that's not the case, then what's the big deal?

Anyway... at some point, I saw something where you can integrate GTalk with GV. Anybody know if this is an alternative? It would probably be a PIA and not worth the effort/hassle, but I'm just curious.