• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice?

I'm looking into buying a droid soon, but don't want to pay for SMS (20 dollars on basically ever network! ahhh). So obviously I could just get a free SMS app... but they force you into a new, and seperate, number for texting, and I really don't feel like confusing my friends by giving them two phone numbers.

If I use google voice on the droid... can I make calls from, to, and text with my google voice number? Also how automated would it be? Can I call from the phones native dialer with my google voice number? Or do I have to go into the google voice app? Are there any other apps that would have these features? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I'm looking into buying a droid soon, but don't want to pay for SMS (20 dollars on basically ever network! ahhh). So obviously I could just get a free SMS app... but they force you into a new, and seperate, number for texting, and I really don't feel like confusing my friends by giving them two phone numbers.

If I use google voice on the droid... can I make calls from, to, and text with my google voice number? Also how automated would it be? Can I call from the phones native dialer with my google voice number? Or do I have to go into the google voice app? Are there any other apps that would have these features? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Yes you can make calls from and to as well as texted with GV. Yes you can call from the native dialer. There's a widget from GV to set it to make all calls with your GV number.

Reactions: thanamesjames
Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the quick and clear response. I've realized I have a couple more questions. How well integrated is the texting? Can I be notified of missed text messages without going into the app? How often does google voice check for texts? Would I know immediately I received one, or does it check on a certain time interval? Also does anyone know if Google could just drop the SMS (or even Voice) feature all together in the future leaving me with no SMS option? That would really suck.

Sorry for all questions, just trying to do my research and struggling to find the answers online. Thanks very much though.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the quick and clear response. I've realized I have a couple more questions. How well integrated is the texting? Can I be notified of missed text messages without going into the app? How often does google voice check for texts? Would I know immediately I received one, or does it check on a certain time interval? Also does anyone know if Google could just drop the SMS (or even Voice) feature all together in the future leaving me with no SMS option? That would really suck.

Sorry for all questions, just trying to do my research and struggling to find the answers online. Thanks very much though.

The texting is down within the app and not the phone itself. Yes you will be notified of missed texts and calls. It should appear in your notification bar. I don't know if it's immediate, but I've never have any problems with it. Nah I'm pretty sure they wont drop the SMS feature. A lot of people use it for texting. I use it as my 2nd number to give out to everyone else. My mobile number I only give to fam and friends. Dont forget the thanks buttons. lol

Reactions: thanamesjames
Upvote 0
Can I be notified of missed text messages without going into the app?
Notifications are just like any other app in Android -- as stated above, notifications are provided via the notification bar.

How often does google voice check for texts?
They're pushed. There are occasional delays but they're extremely rare in my experience. Generally, if I'm on the GV site on my PC (or on a PC with the GV plugin for Chrome) I get notifications on my PC at the same time as I get them on my Droid.

Also does anyone know if Google could just drop the SMS (or even Voice) feature all together in the future leaving me with no SMS option?
Anything's possible and I doubt that anyone here knows for certain one way or another. There's no reason to believe that they would drop it IMO.

The texting is down within the app and not the phone itself.
Unless you use SMS forwarding but that's not really germane given the OP.

Upvote 0
No MMS with google voice. If you are planning on getting picture messages, that coils be a deal breaker for you.

Yup. This can be worked around if your friends have your gmail address in their address book. They simply need to choose your gmail addy instead of your phone number when they want to MMS. It will NOT cost them any extra to MMS to an email addy than to a phone #. That's a common misconception.

Just a change in process for them, but hopefully, they'll remember :)

Upvote 0
Yup. This can be worked around if your friends have your gmail address in their address book. They simply need to choose your gmail addy instead of your phone number when they want to MMS. It will NOT cost them any extra to MMS to an email addy than to a phone #. That's a common misconception.

Just a change in process for them, but hopefully, they'll remember :)
Ok, but that could be pain to try to "train" people to MMS you differently. You don't always know who is going to MMS you. Plus, you get it in your email, not in your text msg program.

It might be a workaround for some, but it's far from ideal.

I think that's the biggest thing GV is missing. Hope they do add it some day.

Upvote 0
If you decide NOT to go the Google Voice route...consider moving to Sprint.

The Everything Data plan includes unlimited text, SMS, MMS, and whatnot...

The best part for me is the unlimited mobile to any mobile.

On the EVO, there is an additional $10 charge for data, so the Everything Data 450 min plan ends up being $79 for unlimited data, as well as SMS and MMS, and unlimited calls to all mobile numbers in the US.

My anytime minute usage due to this was less than 100 for my last billing cycle. Do you call lots of landlines?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones