1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Wallet and Android Beam

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by badandy0014, Dec 20, 2011.

1. badandy0014

badandy0014 Newbie

Just wondering how many of you guys had success using Google Wallet and maybe even Beam.

I used Wallet 2 times but I'm wondering if anyone had success without having to launch the app. I tried to just wake up the screen and hold the phone there, but felt like a total jackass after about 5-10 seconds of nothing happening. I launched the program and put in my pin and it worked perfect. Instructions say you don't need to launch the app but from my brief experiences show otherwise.

So, did anyone get it to work without launching the app?

And also, has anyone tried Beam? Experiences good/bad? I tried it with my friend who got a Nexus and it's pretty cool but like Wallet, we looked like ******s in the middle of Best Buy trying to make our phones send a link to each other while awkwardly wielding our phones in different obscure orientations but we figured it out eventually :p

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

I had great success using it today without needing to open the app. I will say that I was within my time limit of not needing to put in the pin so that may have had something to do with it. Maybe the next time put your pin in and close the app before cashing out.

3. Converted96XJ

Converted96XJ Newbie

I had the same issues. I went to a convenient store and went to use my 10 bucks.. and it did nothing, woke my phone all the way up, went to the app and then it worked. Later that day spent the rest and while in line I went in the app and just logged in and went to the home screen and it worked. I notice though that it initializes so im assuming it maybe enabling the sensor? dont know but i used it only twice.

Havent used android beam at all.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

I used Wallet twice today. The first time I woke up the phone and didn't open the app, but Wallet did its thing and I checked out quickly.

The second time was on my new Nexus and I had just opened the app to add money so it didn't even need my pin.

5. DAHTcom

DAHTcom Newbie

I recorded this at work tonight on the vending machine that is going to be taking a lot more of my money soon. I had already logged into the app before recording, so I guess there is some time limit on how long it will stay active. I've just been opening it when Im in line basically to check the amount I have left on the card, then close it and its ready to rock-n-roll when I get up to pay.

Google Wallet - YouTube

6. badandy0014

badandy0014 Newbie

Thanks all for your replies. I guess I need to try it again, maybe I wasn't holding it close enough or in the right spot, because it would be nice to just flash my phone on there without having to open the app up prior.

7. ez12a

ez12a Member

I didnt have to launch the app either, but I did pretty much have to lay the gnex on the receiver (@ mickey d's w/ pay pass). I have a diztronic TPU case.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews