• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wallet - No Root Needed :)

I cant wait until Wallet and Checkout merge completely. I don't want to pre-pay Google to use this service when they already have my credit card info for everything else. I know this feature is more geeky than mainstream right now, but I hope it trends to Joe public soon. i love this kind of stuff.

Upvote 0
Ended up calling the "Google Money Network" and they asked for the MEID of my old phone which of course I didnt have. Then they asked for number on the emailed receipt and did some ID verification. Once verified the lady said it would take up to 72 hours to get my funds back into my account.

So if any of you turn in or sell your phone, make sure you get your ESN/MEID, it helps speed up their process.

Reactions: SirKronan
Upvote 0
The way the CSR lady was talking to me it sounds like it's tied to the MEID/ESN because she said she could do a balance swap to my new phone.

I figured it was tied to your google email.

Has anyone reinstalled this after rooting/wiping data? I'm wondering if the money stays there tied to your gmail account? I see no reason it wouldn't

Upvote 0
Used mine three times so far. Mc Donald's, Best Buy, and BP gas station. Each time the phone acted differently. The tutorial shows just turning the screen on and tapping the back to the paypass. It's never worked that way for me. Once I had to launch the app, once I had to login to the app with pin, and once I had to re enable NFC in the menu (got a error it was already in use). Pretty slick and I can see it being really nice once it can be hooked to a checking account/google check out.

The girl at BB had the best reaction. I am pretty sure she thought I had just hacked her computer and finally asked "did you just use your phone to pay?" BP guy said he sees the key chains all the time but this was his first phone. Mc Donald's woman seemed annoyed and wanted me to hurry up (I had to try a few times).

Upvote 0
Used mine three times so far. Mc Donald's, Best Buy, and BP gas station. Each time the phone acted differently. The tutorial shows just turning the screen on and tapping the back to the paypass. It's never worked that way for me. Once I had to launch the app, once I had to login to the app with pin, and once I had to re enable NFC in the menu (got a error it was already in use). Pretty slick and I can see it being really nice once it can be hooked to a checking account/google check out.

The girl at BB had the best reaction. I am pretty sure she thought I had just hacked her computer and finally asked "did you just use your phone to pay?" BP guy said he sees the key chains all the time but this was his first phone. Mc Donald's woman seemed annoyed and wanted me to hurry up (I had to try a few times).

lmaooo @ the mcdonalds lady

Upvote 0
Ended up calling the "Google Money Network" and they asked for the MEID of my old phone which of course I didnt have. Then they asked for number on the emailed receipt and did some ID verification. Once verified the lady said it would take up to 72 hours to get my funds back into my account.

So if any of you turn in or sell your phone, make sure you get your ESN/MEID, it helps speed up their process.

This is extremely good to know. Makes sense they would track it that way too.

Upvote 0
The guy at Petco was watching me very warily, like I was hacking the payment system or something lol. Always worked quickly and easily for me, so happy with it. :) It'd be nice if there was some kind of auto recharge or something for the prepaid card, but it's pretty simple to add funds, anyway.

Upvote 0
The guy at Petco was watching me very warily, like I was hacking the payment system or something lol. Always worked quickly and easily for me, so happy with it. :) It'd be nice if there was some kind of auto recharge or something for the prepaid card, but it's pretty simple to add funds, anyway.

Yes. It would be embarrassing to not have enough funds on the card when paying for something. ;)

Hopefully they will get full Visa support soon.

Upvote 0
Can somebody breakdown the steps for using this... i am hearing a few different ways ... i almost feel weird trying this but want to make sure i get it down right ....

Turn on your screen. You may not need to unlock, but I think everyone is unlocking anyway. Tap the phone to the paypass sensor. It'll prompt you for your pin. Enter pin, tap again. That's it! It's say "sending" for about a second then it'll be done. :)

Or, if there's a line, and you want to go quicker, open the wallet app, and enter your pin. It'll retain the pin for 5 minutes, or whatever you set it to. So then when you get to the register you only need to tap once and it's even quicker. :)

Upvote 0
any answers as to how the app is going to survive flashing a new rom?
I am a little worried that it will be unhappy with being reinstalled as it interacts with the phone differently than your average app as evidenced by the problems people had with install of the apk if prior install was done via zip.
anyone with experience w reinstall?

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried this with the extended battery?

Long story short, I had GW working with a stock rooted ROM (4.0.2) and the regular battery. But I loaded the android revolution ROM and changed out the battery only to find that I couldn't even get the phone to recognize the reader at checkout. I have since backed out to the stock rooted ROM but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Any other experiences like that?

Upvote 0
Definitely really liking this application! Make's check out a breese and only more and more stores will have the capabilities. Would be nice to see an option for an auto reload, maybe when you hit a low number or maybe a certain day of each month. Adding cash is simple tho and the whole service is free so cant complain!

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried this with the extended battery?

Long story short, I had GW working with a stock rooted ROM (4.0.2) and the regular battery. But I loaded the android revolution ROM and changed out the battery only to find that I couldn't even get the phone to recognize the reader at checkout. I have since backed out to the stock rooted ROM but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Any other experiences like that?

I am rooted but still stock, with the extended battery and everything worked fine. It could be the ROM...

Upvote 0
So I finally used Wallet at 7-11. the transaction went...

"That $7.15"
"You can't use your phone there."
*Beep*
"Or..... I guess you can. That's cool. How'd you do that?"

I unlocked my phone and opened the app before scanning.

So, I was impressed, but I am wondering if I should get a Citi Master Card. Is anyone opening an account with Citi (if they don't already have one) just for Wallet? Or are you waiting for more support?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones