1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Wallet now Available through the Market**

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trophynuts, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Andrew725

Andrew725 Newbie

I started with the sideloaded app from XDA. I reset the Wallet, uninstalled it, then installed the Market version. My balance is still there, including my entire transaction history :).

snapcase and trophynuts like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled

I had to follow this video precisely:
    (I hope I didn't just break the forum by doing that. Hiding just in case.)

paleodust, Outatime and ShanMan14 like this.
  3. ShanMan14

ShanMan14 Member

4. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member

I posted this on the main thread, but I'll post it here too:

Protip: I think this procedure assumes you don't have any app defaults set. After it didn't work the first time, I cleared my market and ICS Browser+ defaults. It worked according to the instructions after that.

When the app starts downloading from the Market, there will still be a banner at the top saying "not available by carrier." But that doesn't seem to hinder the process.

Also, I had the old "haxor3d" version which I uninstalled first and everything transferred properly.

I wonder what VZW's new excuse is for blocking it. Seems they can't say Google doesn't have the app ready for the GNex anymore.

5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

What exactly do you mean by "resetting" Wallet? :thinking:

6. Roaddog

Roaddog Well-Known Member

This method worked perfectly for me as well. I uninstalled the sideloaded version I had previously, followed the video instructions and it seems to have loaded everything correctly. There WAS still a banner during the download process that said something like "app not supported by your carrier" or something similar, but it didn't stop it from downloading to my phone all the same. One note: It didn't want to activate my handset over wifi for some reason, but switching it over to 4G seemed to take care of things nicely.

Good work!

7. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

It takes some doing to get this to work. I have the app originally side loaded.

Clear your history and logout of your market account via your browser before you get started.

8. GadgetGeek

GadgetGeek Newbie

The "full method" outlined and video'd here at droid-life worked flawlessly on my stock, non-rooted VZW GNex.

9. Schex13

Schex13 Well-Known Member

Resetting Wallet means when you open the app, on the main screen that has the cards, offers, and those links you hit menu and select "reset wallet" and that will clear out the account that's logged in.

From what I understand it's how you can avoid errors and that secure element not found error that everyone is afraid of when you switch ROMS. Most seem to have success in this.

Those that already have it installed can reset Wallet, uninstalled, then followed the directions to get the fresh "official" version.

The_Chief, Andrew725 and umataro42 like this.
  10. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Even though we're kind of back-door doing this, will it still update?

11. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

Huh? :eek:

12. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert

It should...

FYI, I had the non-root XDA APK installed. I didn't uninstall it.

I went through the steps above, when I got the install screen, mine said "update" which I did. Everything seems to work fine, it kept my linked CC.

YMMV

13. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

For reference, I did NOT reset wallet prior to uninstalling the side-loaded one, and re-installing the one from the market, and my prepaid card with existing balance came in just fine. So that is not a requirement.

14. umataro42

umataro42 Android Enthusiast

Thanks. I had the side-loaded app from XDA, which I uninstalled before using this method to get the Market version, which I was able to do with no problems. But after that, it got stuck on adding my Google prepaid card, so I tried the reset, and after that it worked.

15. swagner53

swagner53 Android Enthusiast

I actually fell out of my chair! ::D

16. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Installed and working, not sure I'll actually use it.

17. AntimonyER

Have you signed up for the prepaid card from google? You get $10 free.

18. The_Chief

VIP Member

Here you go:

Google Wallet - where it works

When I first got it there were about 5 places to use it. Now there are three PAGES of places close by!

:)

kool kat2 likes this.
  19. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert

I'm not sure if it was because I switched phones or because I reset my Google Wallet, but I got a fresh $10 from Google again when I installed it using this method.

20. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Thanks. I'm not saying I can't use it or that there is nowhere to use it, just that I'm not sure I want to use it.

21. AntimonyER

I understand, which is why I mentioned the ten dollars. I used that first and decided I liked it enough to load my own money.

22. AntimonyER

It's because you switched phones. Wallet uses the secure element in your phone to identify if you are a new customer or not. New phone = new secure element

drdoom likes this.
  23. The_Chief

VIP Member

Great instructions. I didn't clear anything or reset squat. I just logged out of my Market account and followed the instructions. Google Wallet updated to the Market version! :D

I feel much better knowing it's "official"!

24. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

wow! you should really turn off the pc and get out more! :eek:

25. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member

Agreed. Google bought me breakfast a couple of times. The very next week, I left my wallet at work and needed gas to get to work the next morning. Lucky for me, I had Wallet pre-loaded (and if I hadn't I could have added money right then).

I don't use it every day, but it's handy to have as a back-up.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews