• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wallet now Available through the Market**

I got the "unsupported device" warning when I opened up Google Wallet today (it had been a while since the last time). I originally had the apk from XDA Forums, then used the Market trick to get the official version.

It didn't work when I tried to use it on the paypass at a McDonalds a few minutes ago. I'll have to try it at one I've used it before though to make sure it wasn't just a faulty pay-pass.

I used it for the first time since it was reactivated by Google. Mine says "unsupported device" but I had no trouble buying coffee at Circle K yesterday. It definitely took the cashier by surprise saying that she had never seen anything like that. On my way out 2 different customers wanted to know what phone I had and how it worked.

This is the reason why Google should have included this feature on this phone fully functionally at the release. It's something innovative, new and impressive (when it works). In two years on the iPhone 5S (do you see what I did there?) Apple will release a new way to make iPhone users lives easier, something creative and innovative, unlike anything ever seen. It will be called iWallet and the entire world will be impressed with their forward thinking. Those of us that have been using Google Wallet for more than two years will of course chuckle to ourselves and wonder why Google just doesn't go after Apple the way Apple goes after them for patent infringement.

Upvote 0
I used it for the first time since it was reactivated by Google. Mine says "unsupported device" but I had no trouble buying coffee at Circle K yesterday. It definitely took the cashier by surprise saying that she had never seen anything like that. On my way out 2 different customers wanted to know what phone I had and how it worked.

Good to know, thanks! I had a similar reaction from a 7-11 cashier a couple weeks ago. I'll have to try it again at one of the 2 places I've successfully used it before.

That's the other problem with NFC right now, even if a place has the paypass scanner, it doesn't always work.

Upvote 0
Good to know, thanks! I had a similar reaction from a 7-11 cashier a couple weeks ago. I'll have to try it again at one of the 2 places I've successfully used it before.

That's the other problem with NFC right now, even if a place has the paypass scanner, it doesn't always work.

Yeah I love it, I used mine at Homedepot - the lady looked at me like I as from the Jestsons. Kept asking me how she could get that on her iPhone... I smiled and said you cant.

I tried it at a couple of places that their reader didn't work. Guess people really don't use those much.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
So I finally used mine for the first time since it came back online...at a gas station. It works!!
Only thing I noticed is that now there is an extra step. It used to be, have the employee ring up the purchase and select credit on their side...then just hold my phone up to the machine and it would go and be done.
Now though, after I hold up the phone to the machine, wallet sends the payment, and then I have to select credit on the machine, like some kind of a verification..and then it processes.
Fine by me, since now I know.
Woo hook it works!!!

Upvote 0
So I finally used mine for the first time since it came back online...at a gas station. It works!!
Only thing I noticed is that now there is an extra step. It used to be, have the employee ring up the purchase and select credit on their side...then just hold my phone up to the machine and it would go and be done.
Now though, after I hold up the phone to the machine, wallet sends the payment, and then I have to select credit on the machine, like some kind of a verification..and then it processes.
Fine by me, since now I know.
Woo hook it works!!!

That's interesting. When I purchased my coffee at Circle K, I woke up my phone while I waited and entered by 4 digit PIN, then I held it by the PayPass and it said SENT! That's it.

I would be interested to see who all has extra steps. Wonder why that happened?

Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0
sorry guys but I've been out of the loop for a while. I've tried to catch up but am a little afraid to try.

I got the first APK months ago from XDA. I just went into my wallet and got the message something like "You don't have the currecnt version go to market to update"

I'm totally stock. what do i do? can i keep checking "do later" or do i need to do a special procedure?

Upvote 0
sorry guys but I've been out of the loop for a while. I've tried to catch up but am a little afraid to try.

I got the first APK months ago from XDA. I just went into my wallet and got the message something like "You don't have the currecnt version go to market to update"

I'm totally stock. what do i do? can i keep checking "do later" or do i need to do a special procedure?

You need to either find a new apk with the latest version, or see if you can get the market trick to work on your phone.

Upvote 0
You need to either find a new apk with the latest version, or see if you can get the market trick to work on your phone.

thanks Antimony but the thing I'm afraid off is that thing that happens when you can never use it again? I forgot what it's called but when it happens you can not fix it.

So do i uninstall mine first. And is there a special way to uninstall it so that problem doesn't happen? I've been trying to figure out but too much stuff confusing me. I think you have to clear data before uninstall?

Upvote 0
The market trick isn't working for me. I get all the way to the end where I should be able to install it, with the Play Store showing me the permissions required for Google Wallet, but there's no install button. The area where it should be is empty.

Have you cleared your cache/history/cookies etc.. from your browser?
Did you log out of market.android.com before you tried to install.

you should just go to market.android.com from your phone - after clearing cookies, cache, etc. search for google wallet, click on the google wallet icon, choose browser, click install, choose browser, login, click back then choose market... thats off the top of my head, but i believe its what's in the video guide.

Upvote 0
Have all of you gotten the 5 extra dollars? I'm wondering why I didn't get it...

I ended up needing to reboot to get my Nexyness...but I got it. And have been using my wallet all over, including a refill on the prepaid card since I was using it enough I figuered its good to go now.
Rooted with AOKP B28 and lean 2.6 exp

Upvote 0
Do I need to uninstall my original sideloaded version before I use the market trick?

I am not sure how others are doing it, but when all the issues were happening I completely removed the program from my phone...kept trying the market trick, until Google fixed the prepaid issue. Then once that was working, I made sure the old version was uninstalled and cleared my market cache etc...then I used the ICS browser to do the market install, not chrome or any other browser. Worked like a charm.
Good luck!!

Upvote 0
Have you cleared your cache/history/cookies etc.. from your browser?
Did you log out of market.android.com before you tried to install.

you should just go to market.android.com from your phone - after clearing cookies, cache, etc. search for google wallet, click on the google wallet icon, choose browser, click install, choose browser, login, click back then choose market... thats off the top of my head, but i believe its what's in the video guide.

Yes, I did all of that and used the stock browser. I followed all of the instructions exactly several times. And each time, I got to the point where you install Google Wallet (it gave me an install screen with all of the permissions), but the install button was missing. It's weird.

I've read online that there have been problems with this method since some of the Play updates.

Upvote 0
Yes, I did all of that and used the stock browser. I followed all of the instructions exactly several times. And each time, I got to the point where you install Google Wallet (it gave me an install screen with all of the permissions), but the install button was missing. It's weird.

I've read online that there have been problems with this method since some of the Play updates.

Buried here somewhere is a video that shows EXACTLY how to do it step by step. I was having the same problems as you until I saw the video. I'm not sure if its in this thread or the other wallet thread. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones