• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wallet now Available through the Market**

I used it for the first time since it was reactivated by Google. Mine says "unsupported device" but I had no trouble buying coffee at Circle K yesterday. It definitely took the cashier by surprise saying that she had never seen anything like that. On my way out 2 different customers wanted to know what phone I had and how it worked.

This is the reason why Google should have included this feature on this phone fully functionally at the release. It's something innovative, new and impressive (when it works). In two years on the iPhone 5S (do you see what I did there?) Apple will release a new way to make iPhone users lives easier, something creative and innovative, unlike anything ever seen. It will be called iWallet and the entire world will be impressed with their forward thinking. Those of us that have been using Google Wallet for more than two years will of course chuckle to ourselves and wonder why Google just doesn't go after Apple the way Apple goes after them for patent infringement.

here is the worst part about it.. Google wanted it on the phone But VZW said NO!!! So they didnt implement it right? But when you CALL VZW and ask "what is the alternative to google wallet that you guys want us to use" they have NO ANSWER OR RESPONSE.. they have NO CLUE of any app that uses to pay with the NFC or idea of any plans of an app.. i mean come on block a revolutionary thing because you want people to use yours instead and..you... dont... have one?

Reactions: Old Member
Upvote 0
Guess I will have to sideload. I just don't trust these APKs coming from an unknown source.

I side loaded THIS APK yesterday... i have no banner or errors so far. i got my free $10 (again) from google and and seems to be working fine. i havent bought anything yet but all the other functions are working flawlessly

Reactions: jabbu
Upvote 0
this no longer works as of 5/11/2012 i have no Install button when i get to the market

I'd be interested to see if anyone else confirms this. Not to say "ur doin it rong" but it can be a finicky procedure.

Yes, sadly it does not seem to work anymore.
After fidgeting with it for quite a while it just won't give you an install button anymore :(
The spot it would normally be in is just blank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-58-38.JPG
    Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-58-38.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Dumb question my niece has a droid bionic she has Verizon. She said the vending machine at her work takes pay pass. Can she just download Google Wallet or does she need a phone like my new EVO4G LTE that has NFC. She said she googled it and it was only on Sprint. This is all new to me. But my banks debit card had the wifi little icon on it and my friend used his at McDonalds once.

Upvote 0
Dumb question my niece has a droid bionic she has Verizon. She said the vending machine at her work tales pay pass. Can she just download Google Wallet or does she need a phone like my new EVO4G LTE that has NFC. She said she googled it and it was only on Sprint. This is all new to me. But my banks debit card had the wifi little icon on it and my friend used his at McDonalds once.

Needs a phone with NFC.

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
Google wallet has suddenly stopped working for me (after updating to latest version and rebooting)... I started it up and got a new popup message saying "wallet is not supported by my carrier/device" , and the app immediately closes when I close the popup. So I restored an older version of wallet and don't get the pop up but I'm unable to retrieve balances for my card. So I updated the app through the market again, and i can now get into the app, but says "unable to contact bank" when retrieving balances.

Edit:
After reboot again, the exact message is: Unfortunately, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier.

When pressing okay, the app then closes.
Screenshot:
Screenshot_2012-06-03-23-07-11.png

Upvote 0
Google wallet has suddenly stopped working for me (after updating to latest version and rebooting)... I started it up and got a new popup message saying "wallet is not supported by my carrier/device" , and the app immediately closes when I close the popup. So I restored an older version of wallet and don't get the pop up but I'm unable to retrieve balances for my card. So I updated the app through the market again, and i can now get into the app, but says "unable to contact bank" when retrieving balances.

I just got it installed through the market, and weirdly, I am getting a similar issue...

Upvote 0
I just got it installed through the market, and weirdly, I am getting a similar issue...

Yeah, I got that message at first after I reset the app, then I restored, an older version and was able to get in...I wonder if google took the prepaid servers down again (possibly for adding support for new phones)

It is weird how google wallet appears in the web store as compatible but doesn't appear in the play store on the phone,

Upvote 0
Yeah, I got that message at first after I reset the app, then I restored, an older version and was able to get in...I wonder if google took the prepaid servers down again (possibly for adding support for new phones)

Yeah they are probably adding official vzw gnex support and took the service down momentarily to get the servers or google magic ready to go. One other thing I noticed is that when I installed google wallet from my browser, google+, which I had "disabled" on my phone automatically enabled and updated right after I "allowed access" for google wallet....strange

Upvote 0
Yeah they are probably adding official vzw gnex support and took the service down momentarily to get the servers or google magic ready to go. One other thing I noticed is that when I installed google wallet from my browser, google+, which I had "disabled" on my phone automatically enabled and updated right after I "allowed access" for google wallet....strange
Try rebooting your phone and see if you can get into the app still.... I just started from scratch again, got into the app (prepaid unavailable) rebooted and am now getting the unsupported device message on app startup.

Edit: popup has gone away but still no prepaid. I swear, ever time I reset my wallet app, prepaid goes down.

Upvote 0
Try rebooting your phone and see if you can get into the app still.... I just started from scratch again, got into the app (prepaid unavailable) rebooted and am now getting the unsupported device message on app startup.

Edit: popup has gone away but still no prepaid. I swear, ever time I reset my wallet app, prepaid goes down.

after rebooting, I am getting the same error as you were. It says google wallet has not been certified for your contry, device, carrier

Reactions: sdrawkcab25
Upvote 0
Just thought I would mention this...

If you have a phone with an NFC chip and use Google Wallet, make sure you clear all data from the Google Wallet app before you do a Factory Reset. Otherwise you will brick the secure element in the NFC chip.

There is currently an entire thread concerning the issue and there is no known fix.

Just thought I would mention it.

Upvote 0
after rebooting, I am getting the same error as you were. It says google wallet has not been certified for your contry, device, carrier
Searching around the net, it seems provisioning of prepaid is down again. No official announcement from google that I can find, so it may not be down for long. If it's like last time, it should only be affecting new users trying to set up new prepaid cards, and anyone who has reset the wallet app. All existing users should be fine, I'd be interested if anyone is able to add new funds though??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones