• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wallet now requiring SSN

I did a search in Google's support and found this answer:

Account Verification

As you may know from your existing banking relationships, Federal law requires that payment providers take steps to verify the identities of their customers. Google and our partner Money Network have designed procedures to comply with these requirements while protecting and respecting the confidentiality of your personal information.

In order to verify your identity, we require additional information such as Social Security number, date of birth and your address that was not requested during the card activation process. Please rest assured that Google and Money Network are committed to preserving your security of your information.

Per Federal regulations and industry standards, you may not be able to continue using your Google Wallet account without submitting requested information.
http://support.google.com/wallet/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1349463

I think I would rather Google Wallet just charge directly to my credit card.

Reactions: DSG04lightning
Upvote 0
I would prefer a "link to a payment processor" .. like PayPal links to my bank account.

But that's just me ....

I would NEVER allow Paypal or Google Wallet have a direct link to my bank account. I made that mistake once with Paypal, and when an unauthorized withdrawal occurred from my Paypal account, Paypal snagged the money from my checking account, and after several appeals they told me it was my problem to resolve with the vendor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones