• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Wallet - Setup/Discussion

You need to put in your pin in the Wallet app, to unlock it. You can do this while in line, by default it stays unlocked for 5 minutes. If the screen turns off before you use it, you don't need to go back in the app within the 5 minutes, just unlock the phone, and you are good to go. You are looking for a pay pass keypad usually. The top section of the keypad will have the nfc reader, just touch your phone to the top section, and should see it processing quickly after that.

I just put my phone next to the card reader and it pulls the wallet up and prompts your pin.... The only thing you need to do is turn your screen on... No need to enter your pin before hand

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Does it usually take a really long time to add the google pre-paid card? Mine says "verifying your account with money network" circle is swirling but nothing is proceding. It's been doing this for a while.

Update: Nevermind. After about 30 minutes it gave me an error and said to try again later. Guess I will do that.

Mine took forever (more than 30 secs! lol), but I put it down and then came back and all was good with the world.

GBA

Upvote 0
I have a couple of questions here...

1) Someone said they got ten bucks for activating their Google Card... is this the same as the $10 promo for Google Wallet or is this $20 free? I'm sure it's just the $10 but I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

2) Is there a way to have this automatically draw the amount of transactions or do I need to manually pre-pay set amounts to get it to clear? If Google would allow people to attach ANY credit card to just debit as charges are processed I think this would be a HUGE thing for them.

Upvote 0
I have a couple of questions here...

1) Someone said they got ten bucks for activating their Google Card... is this the same as the $10 promo for Google Wallet or is this $20 free? I'm sure it's just the $10 but I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

2) Is there a way to have this automatically draw the amount of transactions or do I need to manually pre-pay set amounts to get it to clear? If Google would allow people to attach ANY credit card to just debit as charges are processed I think this would be a HUGE thing for them.

1) just ten bucks.

2) pre-loaded only (unless you have a citicard). Read the last couple of pages, I think people got pretty hot about it. I don't think it's that big of a deal, and will likely evolve into allowing more/any cards.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to get this to work for five days, but it never verifies my account for prepaid.
I called Google for support and he said it had something to do with our device (LTEVO) and that the Engineering team was working on it. He said they would send me a follow-up email when it was resolved so I didn't need to keep trying. It also affects trying to add a Mastercard as well. They sent me an email support ticket for reference. Still waiting for one to tell me it's up again.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I have used both the prepaid card and my Citi MC at Circle K and CVS with no problem, Meijer it will not work. That's because Meijer's RF receiver sucks tho, my embedded cards and keytags don't work there either.

I did however have a problem with "initializing your device" in a low signal area, and afterward google wallet kept my phone awake 100% of the time. Rebooting did not help, did not show up under task manager or Advanced Task Manager app. Had to force close from Apps to let my phone sleep.

Upvote 0
Im afraid to activate my wallet, because as I'm sure many of you have heard or seen.. I was the unlucky fellow who did a factory reset on day 2 of having the device and mind you I pre ordered may 7 promptly at 9am via the sprint website. I received mine may 24 the google wallet side of the device instantly became bricked when I had no choice but to do a factory reset to fix sense issues....and I had one heck of a mountain to climb in 14 days to get a new device considering the rest of the devices were still stuck in customs...called sprint, google, HTC almost every day we talked...well finally I got what I deserved a new device!

But since I used my gmail address on the bricked wallet I'm scared to use the same gmail to set up google wallet this time on a completely new phone.. any ideas!? Iv asked google several times about this...there only reply was please wait until we are certain what has caused your last issue. They won't say yes youl be fine, but they won't say NO DON'T DO IT EITHER so idk what to do ...I'm dying to test it out though and I can't :( :( I don't wanna brick google wallet #2 and be screwed for good this time all over a lack of detail before factory resetting your device! :( :(

Upvote 0
i think the issue is caused by a local key on the phone and not tied to your google account.

if you are in doubt, then dont do it. you can still sign up your google account on you phone and just wait until the bug is fixed on google wallet. you have made transactions without google wallet for years, so a little while longer wont make much difference.. :)

Upvote 0
I was the unlucky fellow who did a factory reset on day 2 of having the device
I factory reset my device on Day 1 with no ill effect. Factory resetting your device was not, and is NOT, the issue at hand.

I had no choice but to do a factory reset to fix Sense issues
You did have a choice. You always have a choice. You didn't have to factory reset, you chose to do so. There are many other options and choices you could have tried and selected before factory resetting (factory reset was simply the easiest most effective solution, plans backfire all the time).

I've asked Google several times about this, their only reply was please wait until we are certain what has caused your last issue.

They won't say yes you'll be fine, but they won't say No don't do it either, so I don't know what to do. I'm dying to test it out though and I can't. I don't want to brick Google Wallet again

Google told you what to do. They explicitly said to wait until they have figured out and fixed the problem. So wait. I have noticed waiting appears to be a foreign concept to you, but I plead with you to try your best to be patient and wait for Google to provide you with more details or issue a Wallet update fix. Please.
(if not, set up a 2nd Gmail account specifically for Google Wallet and NFC pay to your little heart's desire)

While I can empathize your story and position I would also like to make a personal request that you not keep repeating the story nearly every time you post (while this is a friendly request on my part, you have the right to do as you wish). Your predicament has been well documented elsewhere already. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm guessing because I'm rooted? That and I heard if you don't wipe Google Wallet settings before flashing a new ROM it can cause issues. I did this when I flashed Charmeleon ROM. But i forgot to when I restored my viperROM nandroid backup.

No need to guess, you are correct.

By clicking the "learn more" link below the error message, it states:

"Some users may disable important security mechanisms in order to gain system-level 'root' access to their phone. We strongly discourage doing so if you plan to use GW. We are unable to support devices w/ unauthorized OS's as the security layers of the devices may be limited."

As to your second issue, you may or may not have a problem using GW if you didn't save your info on the nandroid. Mobile GW is device specific when you log in, so by not resetting prior to wipe or flash, it's going to store information that may not be the same on your next ROM and cause issues. Too early to tell whether this can be fixed, but check out the Nexus forums for some tales of GW woe.

Upvote 0
Yep, mine says that too, it has no loss of functionality however, just an annoying message. I have flashed roms and radios without resetting wallet, and I'm fine, so it's not an all is lost situation just because you did that. However if you get a secure element error, that's all she wrote. Resetting it prior to any sort of flashing is a way to be safe.

Upvote 0
For those having issues adding the prepaid card to their mobile device, here's the best workaround until the fix for the Evo LTE is released:

Credit: FIX for google wallet activating - xda-developers

Summary:

1) Change your device ID in your build.prop file to reflect the following
-ro.product.model=GT-I9300
ro.product.device=GT-I9300
2) Reset Google Wallet
3) Reboot and re-enter your info in the Google Wallet app
4) Add your prepaid card

Done and done, your balance should show. If you're a newbie, $10 instantly. If you've already added funds, it should reflect your current balance. :D

Upvote 0
i think the issue is caused by a local key on the phone and not tied to your google account.

if you are in doubt, then dont do it. you can still sign up your google account on you phone and just wait until the bug is fixed on google wallet. you have made transactions without google wallet for years, so a little while longer wont make much difference.. :)

Yep, getting time out error and will not activate pre paid card. I think with Sprint in talks to start there own NFC wallet app. Google wallet could be out the door at least for Sprint. Agreed, spent years doing it the old fashion way. I can wait for proper fix and not risk doing something silly to LTEVO :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones