• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Wallet - Setup/Discussion

I used my Google prepaid card at McDonald's yesterday (Sat 6-9) for breakfast with no issues. Mine has been set up and working since May 24th though.

I rooted last night using the perm root only method (to get Titanium first) and could not get it to initialize(after clearing Wallet after backing up). Restoring the app data fixed it. Did a full root with recovery after clearing Wallet today, same problem, Titanium fixed it again. Have not tried to pay with it yet since, will report back when I do.

Seems if you have a phone with working Wallet, you can preserve it with Titanium.

Upvote 0
I used my Google prepaid card at McDonald's yesterday (Sat 6-9) for breakfast with no issues. Mine has been set up and working since May 24th though.

I rooted last night using the perm root only method (to get Titanium first) and could not get it to initialize. Restoring the app data fixed it. Did a full root with recovery after clearing Wallet today, same problem, Titanium fixed it again. Have not tried to pay with it yet since, will report back when I do.

Seems if you have a phone with working Wallet, you can preserve it with Titanium.
Wait, presumably, you needed to root to get Titanium backup so you could backup the app data... so wasn't it already not functioning at that point?

Upvote 0
Wait, presumably, you needed to root to get Titanium backup so you could backup the app data... so wasn't it already not functioning at that point?

No, it was working fine. I did my homework and realized I needed to reset it after perm root but before full root + recovery, and it might not work. Glad I did, 'cause that's exactly what happened. I cleared it then tried to re-initialize it before I went any further. I REALLY wanted root and the only reason I hadn't already done it was the potential Wallet problems. After scouring here and XDA, I thought this might work, so I tried it. It did (so far.)

I didn't want to full root even with clearing it if the Wallet wouldn't work, even if it was only temporary. I have buy back from Best Buy so I can get the EVO that transforms into a spaceship when it's released in 2 years. So I figured even if I broke the secure element this would make me so angry I'd hurl my EVO onto asphalt, then just walk into BB and get a new one.
(The buy back is cheaper if you pay BB for 1 month of insurance.)

Reactions: NeoteriX
Upvote 0
Step by step:

Unrooted = wallet working
Perm root only = wallet working
Titanium Backup = wallet working
Reset wallet = wallet NOT working
Restore data = wallet working
Reset wallet = wallet NOT working
Root + recovery = wallet NOT working
Restore data = wallet working

Maybe that's clear? Sorry, I've posted diffent versions of this in a couple places, tried not to go into all the root details everywhere. Got tired of typing it:)
I shoulda just wrote up one big clear one and pasted or linked it.

Reactions: WifiMaxed
Upvote 0
So, I ordered my EVOLTE from Wirefly, and it was supposed to come with a $10 google wallet credit. As of yet, I cannot locate anything pertaining to this credit when I log into google wallet on my computer...

Any other wirefly purchasers that can shed some light? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance!

It shows up instantly when you activate wallet on your phone. IF you can activate it.
I can still get my wallet working, but only by restoring data from Titanium. Although as of today I cannot get transactions to finish. My phone sends the info but the register never completes the purchase. I have not had a chance to try the build.prop method, maybe tomorrow. If you are rooted you can try it, not sure if the $10 was EVO specific or not though. Check the xda EVO general google wallet thread, think it's linked above, I'd look myself but I gotta go to bed. Good luck!

Reactions: WifiMaxed
Upvote 0
Well just another update :p Decided to call Google this time instead of money network. I have to say the Google lady was very polite :) Anyway, she knew right away which phone I was calling about ROFL. I guess Google was taken back a bit by the sheer volume of LTEVO sold :D I guess if a million LTEVO's sold, Goole would have to eat $10mil hehehe :) Okay, she just said there are team of engineers working on it and typically they hope within another 2 days will be working :p
Guess will see :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Was having trouble activating Google Wallet on my Evo LTE 4G, and called the Money Network Help. Was told they are having an issue with the software and this phone. Said they were working on it and to keep trying occasionally. Not much help....

Now today when I open the app it says: "Not Supported. Unfortunately, google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier"

So this is progress - Right!

Upvote 0
Was having trouble activating Google Wallet on my Evo LTE 4G, and called the Money Network Help. Was told they are having an issue with the software and this phone. Said they were working on it and to keep trying occasionally. Not much help....

Now today when I open the app it says: "Not Supported. Unfortunately, google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier"

So this is progress - Right!

I agree! I opened mine today as well just out of curiosity and I received the same exact message...

Upvote 0
Earlier last night I was like, hmm... reports says Google Wallet is no longer working. I guess I've just lost the last reason I had not to root.

Except I go to Google Wallet to clear out the security token and find out the biggest problem of this recent Sprint/Google development:

YOU CANNOT ACCESS ANY PART OF THE APP AND ULTIMATELY CANNOT ERASE THE SECURITY TOKEN.

For the love of all that is holy Sprint, you have just castrated anyone that needs to hard reset their device.

Upvote 0
Any consideration that this issue is related to the secure element issue, (ie, Sprint doesn't want to cover secure element bricking under its warranty, although since it happens without the user taking an action deemed to void the warranty, they will have to?) If Sprint just told Google to disable the app until they came up with a warning message, or a procedure for re-enabling the secure element, that wouldn't be quite the doomsday scenario that some of these articles are proposing...

Upvote 0
Yep, find it weird that this is not front page issue. Some online stores selling LTEvo included $10 google money as the final sell price. Wirefly comes to mind! Even more weird if I google search "evo 4g LTE google wallet" I find almost nothing accept work arounds and evo launch articles :) Google conspiracy? :p :cool: :)

Upvote 0
Yep, find it weird that this is not front page issue. Some online stores selling LTEvo included $10 google money as the final sell price. Wirefly comes to mind! Even more weird if I Google search "Evo 4g LTE Google Wallet" I find almost nothing except work arounds and Evo launch articles :) Google conspiracy? :p :cool: :)

It has made the rounds, search again. Nearly every story on page 1 is recent and talks about this incompatibility "issue"
Google Search: Google Wallet Evo 4G LTE

More like Sprint conspiracy, as they are readying to create and launch a "Google Wallet"-like service for making purchases via NFC. ;)

Upvote 0
It has made the rounds, search again. Nearly every story on page 1 is recent and talks about this incompatibility "issue"
Google Search: Google Wallet Evo 4G LTE

More like Sprint conspiracy, as they are readying to create and launch a "Google Wallet"-like service for making purchases via NFC. ;)

ROFL, Pyro you are so right :) Google wallet is not a huge deal breaker for me :) I did a Google search 'EVO LTE Google wallet" and the web is up to speed on the issue. :p

Here is the funny :rolleyes: I got my Sprint bill and they did not wave $35 activation fee or my $100 deduction for re-upping my 2yr contract. That all got squared away pretty easily. I asked if customer service rep could transfer me to tech support. Dude, proclaimed to be tech savy :D I asked what is Sprint doing about the GW dibacle ? :p Dude, was like, " I just got my EVO and It's fine" I was like really?" I then said "you have a computer terminal in front you?" Google search "Evo LTE Google Wallet" Dude is like "OH Wow" I have not herd anything internal about this and here it is all over the web? Dude was like, I haven't activated my LTEVO yet thanks this is important news. I guess its one of those things you chalk up to laughter. :D PWND :p

Upvote 0
YOU CANNOT ACCESS ANY PART OF THE APP AND ULTIMATELY CANNOT ERASE THE SECURITY TOKEN.

I am wondering if an uninstall of the update would work to protect the Secutiry Token. When I was having trouble with Wallet previously, I did an uninstall of the Update. What resulted was like a reset. It says the "app is replaced with the factory app". Nothing I had previously entered was retained and I had to reenter. Of course now since the app will not open, am not sure how we would check the state to be sure it did reset. :thinking:

Reactions: NeoteriX
Upvote 0
So, fund the google card with your Paypal card, right? 1.5% back.

I'm still not getting it, guys. The google card is linked to my debit card. You can link it to any card you want. Is it that there is a middle man (google card)? Explain to me the benefit of having a heretofore unlisted card debited by NFC. I'm not trying to be obtuse; I really don't understand the complaint.

One reason could be that you would want to use different cards for different purchases (business and private) with the transaction showing up for tax purposes? That's One reason I would want to be able to attach a multitude of cards.
Chris.

Upvote 0
So has anyone heard anything about g wallet or sprint touch for the evo 4g LTE? I have not unfortunately but I did just receive an email from google talking about how now you can activate g wallet on the LG viper 4g LTE AND RECIEVE $25 FREE... but our beloved evo 4g LTE phones only got $10 and we all know how well that went so far with no word on a fix as far as I know (which threw me off cause I believe that's a lower end phone and is currently running android 2.3 os) and it also talked about a virgin mobile device that is eligible for that $25 credit so has google and sprint given up on our phones for wallet or what? If anyone has any info I'd love to hear it please and thank you! :)

Upvote 0
So in the phandroid news section I just noticed apparently google wallet is fixed now?! I checked the play and there was no update for it...so I started my g wallet and it still says that it isn't certified on our carrier/device/country....and apparently I'm not the only one according to the posts left on that news article anyone else seeing the same error message still ?!

Upvote 0
Anyone know when or if Google Wallet will work for our phone? I have the app but get the "Not Supported" error.

It did work... ive had my evo since 5/25... and it worked up until like 2 weeks ago... its unclear why sprint/google has it down for our phones but there are some speculations... Maybe its the hard reset issue... Maybe Sprint is going to do its own version of wallet... Only time will tell... its very frustrating

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones