• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Wallet

Has anyone heard if Google Wallet is going to work with the HTC one X on AT&T? Seems like a really cool feature, but it says it's not compatible with the HTC one x in the play store.

The exact reply I received from the Google Wallet support team is that they "plan to extend functionality to a multitude of devices, in the countries and on the carriers applicable." Which means that any branded, non-Nexus device on Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T will most likely never see it (including the One X/S and any Verizon variation, as well as the carrier-specific Samsung Galaxy S III devices). AT&T, Verizon, and T-mobile are all founding members of a product called ISIS (due out this summer/fall) that is a "more secure" NFC wallet-type payment system. Given their involvement, I would find it hard to believe the carriers are not receiving some sort of service fee (even though the payment would process via NFC and not over their bandwidth) per transaction, and so have a vested interest stifling Google Wallet. They cannot refuse to support the app (even though they claim Google Wallet is "insecure" yet ISIS appears thus far to be using the same protocols and methods) if the app supports the device, but the Wallet support team makes it sound like they are unwilling to step on carrier's toes (which might also be market-driven: with less likelihood of support of adoption and advertisement from the carrier, adoption will be lower and so development to support HTC's One X code may not be worthwhile).

The exception to this is of course rooting and flashing a custom ROM, since Sprint is very supportive of Google Wallet, I am sure that a version for the new Evo 4G LTE will be out, and some modder somewhere will adapt it for the rest of the One series.

So the short answer is that while it is possible, I would not hold my breath.

Upvote 0
Google wallet doesn't work on my international one x with att sim card.

Yeah, it won't, Google Wallet isn't deployed internationally yet (UK is coming this summer for the Olympics I think), so the Google Wallet team at Google hasn't updated the app to play nicely with HTC's hardware and firmware for NFC...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones