• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google+ went absolutely rogue on me!!!

JimKnuckles

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
Hello all

crazy thing happened today and I cant quite figure out why.

I was driving 2 hrs out of town today and i started to get texts from AT&T saying that I was nearing my 6gb limit. My wife and I rarely ever even hit 3gb for a whole month.

From 2:20pm - 6:24pm, Google+ managed to use 7.94gb of data! I do use auto backup, but have it set to wifi only, while being charged. I only have the photo size set to 'standard'. I only took maybe 10 photos today, so even if they backed up over data, that would be nothing.

Anyone ever see this? Any ideas?

I've been having major battery drain issues for what sounds like a similar amount of time, and I too think G+ seems to be at the heart of it somehow. I too removed all updates and config data for it, but then began fresh with it and the updates afterwards, and it seemed to get a bit better. I further clamped down on the settings for when it can and can't upload pictures and videos and that helped even more. But if I allow it to upload those things even when it's not connected to a charger, it blows through my Zerolemon 10,000mAh battery in well less than a day. Very annoying. Something's not right with it, because it continues to chew power at that rate even when I know there's no new pics or videos to upload. I'm hoping that Google just figures it out and fixes it, sooner or later......

Upvote 0
I'm not referring to any battery drain .I'm referring to data usage.

Yes, but my battery drain issue could have been caused by something similar to your haywire data usage issue, and in both cases, Google+ was to blame.

In any case, I don't use G+, so uninstalling it/turning it off was the best solution to my problem. However, there are likely people out there who do use it, and hopefully for their sake, a solution is found.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones