1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Won't Remove GPL Violating App

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Bg260, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln

Advertisement

psionandy likes this.
  2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Assuming they are all real downloads and not gamed to inflate the total to give it a higher ranking, then yes, they probably are clueless. But if your average person was recommended to use VLC and this came up first how many would realise something was wrong?

dontpanicbobby, Bg260 and psionandy like this.
  3. Jhayzone

Jhayzone Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 21, 2015
    The article got update saying its gone now. Did a search and it is. Its a shame that Google need to be badly publicize first before they take actions.

Bg260 likes this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Not unusual for corporations though.

My favourite phone-related example was when the Galaxy S4 was released. There were a lot of complaints about how little space was left in the 16GB version (the only one available in many places), to which Samsung replied "move your apps to SD". But that option had been removed from the base OS so this wasn't possible. Nevertheless they kept repeating this, and even issued a press statement telling people to do this as the complaints mounted up (apparently oblivious to people pointing out that it was impossible). It was only when the issue reached the mainstream press and TV consumer affairs programmes, i.e. became a high profile threat to sales, that they suddenly announced that there was an update coming which would "fix" this. Even then they pretended it was a bug rather than admit that it was a deprecated feature and the phone had never had that capability until the update, despite what they'd been telling people.

Jhayzone, dontpanicbobby and Bg260 like this.