• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google's cloud backup service

D

Deleted User

Am I the only one that finds this potentially killer feature to be abso****inglutely useless?

So many apps don't back any data up, the restore function is stupid in that it blasts a mass download of apps out, which frequently block each other, it has no granular management so I can say, "no, don't download the apps yet, I'll tell you when" or any kind of visibility of what is backed up, how its backed up, or what the status is of the backups. I can't pause or start backups. I can't delete the backups if I want to start fresh (yes, I know I can uncheck the box and it reports them as deleted; but there is no confirmation of that and it's not an active decision). When I tried using it again last week, Launcher Pro reported itself as expired and directed me to the LP website so it had restored an old version or old config of Launcher Pro. Not to mention it doesn't ask or report any process going on, your phone just bogs down and apps appear as if from space. If the market locks up, you have to cancel all the downloads instead of saying, "STOP RESTORING MY STUFF."

It's really frustrating because it's one more user experience piece that Apple does so well. No, it's not through the cloud, but it's clear, controllable and easy. Don't get me wrong, I don't want my iPhone back, but I feel like this is a piece of the Android puzzle that has been slighted and ignored, when it could be a key differentiator for Android.

Google needs to put some focus on this and develop some clear controls around it. It needs to capture user data, not rely on developers to deliver it. It needs to have a full set of controls letting you see the status and details of your backups, change how or when it's backed up, and determine how and when the restore process occurs. It's absolutely amazing to me how craptastic this feature is, yet it pushes it on the user - on the front end of the startup of a new phone - as if it actually works the way it needs to.

Come on, Google. This could be awesome. Imagine if you could just always have all of your user data, including SMS/call log/game high scores/launcher layout/etc. all backed up and blowing away your phone just meant hitting a restore button with no root needed, no extra applications?

/end rant.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones