1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google's GMail App. is totally in Java (I think) and it sucks and needa updating

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by xxspirit4musicxx, Sep 24, 2014.

1. xxspirit4musicxx

When is Google going to update this application, and how come nothing is ever a normal full HTML page anymore? That is how the internet was born and there are no problems with HTML.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert

Of course it is written in Java - most Android apps are since Dalvik (if I understand correctly) is a customized Java VM that uses a register based architecture.

As for why apps instead of HTML (by the way the Internet was around long before HTML, and if you want to get technical about it HTML has nothing to with how the Internet works) it is because in the past HTML was not robust and fast enough to what people wanted compared to native apps (go look up Facebook's experience with HTML 5). For what it is worth HTML is catching up as is the infrastructure to support it, so someday most everything will be HTML based.

As for the Gmail app itself - well I don't know what your problem is but it works well for me.

3. steiny180

steiny180 Android Enthusiast

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Problem solved...

4. mrsmumbles

mrsmumbles Android Enthusiast

Does anyone know how to delete a whole threaded conversation in gmail instead of just the most recent email? Thanks.

5. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert

Just slide the conversation to the right (I have mine set to delete only - I don't bother with archiving)

mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. mrsmumbles

mrsmumbles Android Enthusiast

Thank you! So simple how could I have missed that! I think mine is set to archive, I'll have to change it. Thanks again. :D