• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GoogleVoice issue

go0ty

Lurker
Nov 10, 2009
Lately I've discovered I am having an issue with the GoogleVoice app not syncing properly with my Google contacts.

For example, if I receive a text to my GoogleVoice number and check the sender, it will list the name properly, however when I long-press the name it will give me the option to Add this contact, suggesting that it is a new contact. Selecting this option creates duplicate entries in my contacts list. This makes me believe that GoogleVoice and my contacts are not syncing properly. Another issue is that my contact images (which are pulled from Facebook by Sense) do not show up as the contact images in the GoogleVoice app. This functionality works on the Cliq.

What kinds of experiences have you guys had with GoogleVoice syncing with your contacts?

woah, I hadn't heard of Sprint charging for the use of Google Voice!?!!

Well it isn't that Sprint is "charging you" to use GV. However, using GV burns your minutes. I initially thought that between Sprint's unlimited mobile to mobile and using GV for land line calls, I would never burn my plan minutes. As I said though, using GV does use your minutes. That being said, it's great for making international calls at a low cost.

Upvote 0
You may be getting dupes because Google uses a type of NAT with ph#s
If you look close you may find those duo contacts have 460 or 916 numbers

That's cuz Google gives each person their own unique gv number

Select add to existing contact if you want to avoid dupes

I did this. However the pictures from my contact still do not sync with Google Voice. Small problem though, I guess, I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks for the help.

I never heard about Sprint charging for extra fees. I went online to their website and didn't see any additional charges on my bill.

Upvote 0
They dont charge to use GV. They charge for forwarded called that they reroute. They, however, dont reroute the GV calls. Rather GV reroutes your incoming/outgoing calls so its not considered a "forward" that Sprint would charge for.

Are you sure about that? I know when I place a call with GV, Sprint is charging me minutes. I'm not sure about incoming calls, since I haven't given out my GV number yet to receive any calls.

Upvote 0
sprint will waive the call forward fee just so you are not being charged for it. it was announced a while/few days ago. mid november is when they should have it in place for everyone...

now in GV, you can have your voicemail go direct to GV instead of sprint.. just enter the code on your phones you want to activate and your good.

Really? Would I need to contact Sprint and ask them to waive the forwarding fee, or is this something they know about and will happen automatically? Also, does visual voicemail work with GV's voicemail? If not, I don't see the benefit of using it over Sprint's voicemail.

Upvote 0
sprint press release...

In a press release, Sprint said that it was encouraging the integration of Google services. The company is enthusiastic about the new Google Voicemail service, which allows users to keep their legacy number while forwarding their voicemails to a Google mailbox. Sprint said it is working with Google to develop additional functionality to support services such as Google Voice that will deliver an even richer experience to Sprint customers.
More immediately, Sprint said it will not charge customers for certain types of call forwarding. Conditional call forwarding for busy calls or calls not answered using the customer's wireless phone will be free, beginning mid-November. (Standard charges will continue to apply for immediate call forwarding.) The company currently charges 20 cents per minute for forwarded calls. The change will give Sprint customers the opportunity to access third-party voice services, including the new voicemail feature in Google Voice.

Upvote 0
yes it send them either email or sms to any or all phones you tell it to. the voicemails stay there until you delete them. you can search for them like you do google mail now. its much better than the stock app...

So GV has VV by sending you a text message? Does it organize them for later listening/viewing? The strength of the Sprint app is that I can start it up to see all my voicemails, then select whichever I want to hear (or delete, etc.).

Upvote 0
Hmmm........... That Sprint press release was it bit confusing. What I gathered is that they currently charge for all calls via GV (bi it a busy signal, voicemail, etc.), but will stop charging for busy signals via GV or voicemail via GV. However, connect calls via GV will continue to be charged. Is that how you take it?

Also, I don't see how GV's voicemail can be much simpler than the built-in Sprint app. But I have an open mind, so I will give it a shot. :)

Upvote 0
sprint charges for call forwarding now at 20 cents per minute. they plan to waive that fee by mid november for calls that are AUTOMATICALLY set to be forwarded to a number rather than JUST calls thaat are FORWARDED AFTER a busy signal, etc... meaning the phone has to ring your sprint number FIRST to NOT be charged.. clear as mud? :p

if you have gv app on your hero and you have a gv account, then just play with it. if you dont like it, its not for you. it works and exceeds my expectations... :D and as sated you can get VMs via email transcribed, so you can not be around your hero and just log in to a computer.. wel.. you get the idea.. ;)

Upvote 0
I've noticed the issue with the pictures. Seems hit or miss. Sometimes they pull, sometimes they don't. They seem to always pull correctly on the desktop web version, but not on the app.

like I've had SMSes in GV that on the web show my contact photo, but GV app, looking at the same SMS, doesn't have the picture.

I think it has the option to "add to contacts" regardless of whether it's in your phonebook already or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones