1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Gorilla Glass 3 not on all Galaxy S4's!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ironass, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Updated 02 May 2014 to reflect Samsung's reply in post #25.

Further to a thread here...

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/842667-samsung-galaxy-s4-problems.html

which, strangely I thought, mentioned that AT&T charged extra for installing Gorilla Glass 3 onto their version of the Galaxy S4, I did some digging and came across this thread...

No Gorilla Glass on ATT S4? - xda-developers

... which not only confirms this in post #1...

"It's not Samsung it's ATT. We have to pay extra for Gorilla Glass and we did not."She went on to explain how they've gotten tons of claims regarding easily broken screens on the S4 and so they were recently informed that the lack of Gorilla Glass is the culprit."

Furthermore, in post #24, it goes on to say that...

"You can call Samsung Technical Support and ask them, I did, and they told me the only version that has gorilla glass is the international version."

Checking this out further, I went to the Corning Gorilla Glass 3 website for the Samsung Galaxy S4, (Samsung GALAXY S4 | Products | CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS ), and sure enough, there is, in the small print...

"Select device manufacturers have not been willing to provide Gorilla Glass model verification. In those cases, please ask the manufacturer directly or contact Corning here and we will do our best to help you."

So, I contacted Samsung UK, Technical Support, ( Helpline & Contact | Samsung UK ), who assured me that the International models, GT-i9505, (quad core), and GT-i9500, (octa core), all had the toughened Gorilla Glass 3 but that I would need to contact the individual carriers for the minority variants.

So, if you do not own an International model and want to know if your variant is protected by Corning's Gorilla Glass, you will need to contact your carrier or Corning Gorilla Glass.

To locate your model version, go to... Settings > More > About device > Model number. The actual pathway my vary depending on your model. Alternatively, it should say on the white sticker underneath the battery. This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S4 that you have.

Galaxy S4 Model number (I will update this post whenever I receive confirmation on a particular model)

International GT-i9505 Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 3

AT&T Google Edition (see above) GT-i9505G Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 3

International GT-i9500 Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 3

International GT-i9506 Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 3

S. Korea SHV-E300K/L/S No

S. Korea SHV-E330K/L/S No

Japan NTT SGH-N045 No

China Mobile GT-i9508 No

China Telecom SCH-i959 Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 1

China Unicom GT-i9502 Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 3

AT&T SGH-i337 No

T-Mobile/Metro U.S.A. SGH-M919 No

Verizon SCH-i545 Yes Appears to be confirmed on Verizon's own website.

Sprint SPH-L720 Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Cricket SCH-R970C No Confirmed by Samsung

C-Spire SCH-R970X No

US Cellular SCH-R970 No

Canada (various) SGH-M919V No Confirmed by Samsung

Canada/Mexico (various) SGH-i337M No

Active GT-i9295 Yes Confirmed by Samsung. Corning Gorilla Glass 2

This might explain why we are seeing posts about cracked and damaged screens from some models in particular. :(

Advertisement

2. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I find this amazing how some carriers cut corners. I find it crazy how a carrier could even submit their own specifications to Samsung for a particular device. I never realised this even took place.
    The logistics of having to control varying specs through their production lines would probably cost samsung almost as much as just having gorrila glass throughout. I would be intrigued to find out how the actual cost prices compare between the two.

I have the international version but i have a ge rom, so my device is saying it's a gt-i9505g.
    Does this mean i don't have gorilla glass any more?
    :)

3. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    This, I am told, is a decision made by each carrier as regards to their own particular variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 that they commission and is based on cost to the carrier. AT&T, for instance, thought they could save a few pennies by not installing Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 on their models... and then make some more money by charging extra for those who want it! :motz:

Given the inferior hardware spec's and the heavily branded and mucked about firmware by some carriers who insist on adding, replacing, amending and deleting stuff from the original stock Samsung firmware releases, it is no wonder that we see, on here, a disproportionate number of complaints from some minority variants of the Galaxy S4.

How often do we see comments such as, "Jelly Bean/KitKat is rubbish!", from those who think that their's is the only Jelly Bean/KitKat firmware and that all firmware releases are identical, when in fact they mean, "My carrier branded version of Samsung's release of Android's Jelly Bean/KitKat is rubbish!".

Chuck it off the top off the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, and let me know. :stupid:

4. BurtGummer

BurtGummer Member
    None

Jul 16, 2013
    Male
    Birch Run, Michigan
    This makes me upset a little, but seeing as how AT&T gave me my S4 free as a replacement for my Pantech Discover I'm not going to dwell on it. I keep my S4 in a otterbox defender case and have dropped it a few times and the screen has not broken.

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Android Expert
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
    Thats why i would always get a non branded version of any phone.
    Nothing worse than the crap a lot of carriers put on their versions of the phone, & not only does it deprive you of space it normally messes up the rom its self.

Please supply video of event, you may also get

6. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Certainly not my intention to upset you BurtGummer, old stick! Far from it. Just, as your fellow countrymen would say, "Telling it like it is."

Most users do not know, or care, that there are 23 different versions of the Samsung Galaxy S4. The International, worldwide, models, GT-i9505 and GT-i9500, are, by their very nature, the majority models and around half are unbranded and carry the stock Samsung firmware with only location variations such as language packs. Of, roughly, the other half, they are usually lightly carrier branded with no alterations to the basic firmware but may have a custom, carrier, bootscreen and/or one or more carrier related, add-on, apps.

Then, as some on here know, or have discovered, there are the heavily carrier branded variants that can have the stock Samsung firmware amended, replaced or deleted by the carrier and can have stock Samsung features replaced by their own, even to the extent of bypassing Samsung altogether and releasing these firmwares themselves.

What I, and I'm sure a lot of others, did not realise, was that the hardware spec's could be changed by these carriers on their variants for, what I can only assume is, profit reasons. It makes one question what other hardware corners are being cut by these carriers on such models?

It appears that some countries have it sewn up by not allowing the unbranded, International, models in and only allowing the sales of the aforementioned carrier branded models, thus leaving customers no choice, or competition, at all when it comes to software and hardware.

To paraphrase George Orwell's, Animal Farm... "All Galaxy S4's are equal but some Galaxy S4's are more equal than others"

7. Funderbolt

Funderbolt Well-Known Member
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    engineer
    Va
    The carriers are the real cell phone customers, not you.

8. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    In some countries that may be true Funderbolt but in most countries you can walk into an independent phone shop and pick an unbranded handset and then choose a carrier and plan to go with it. Therefore, there is little or no incentive for carriers in those countries to cut hardware spec's or adulterate the software.

9. BurtGummer

BurtGummer Member
    None

Jul 16, 2013
    Male
    Birch Run, Michigan
    I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I appreciate all the work you do on this forum ironass.

10. anoniemouse

None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
  11. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    What I find particularly stunning about this is that Corning put up with it. I mean, anecdotally speaking, I've seen lots of people complaining about the fragility of their GS4's glass, leading to the conclusion that "Gorilla Glass is crap." In truth, it's probably NOT that Gorilla Glass is crap -- it's that their carrier didn't pony up for Gorilla Glass -- but since conventional wisdom is that the GS4 comes with Gorilla Glass, Corning's reputation is taking an undeserved hit here.

12. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    This sort of "carrier control", particularly in the USA is interesting and slightly disconcerting. I'm no corporate legal expert but I can't imagine, say Vodafone, (a UK company) being able to say to Samsung we need 10 million units of your new all singing all dancing flag ship device, but we need them with our firmware and while your at it we need you to cut corners. I can't see how they could sell their versions as the same as an unbranded one legally. Are the US carriers really that powerful? In essence dictating what a device's actual specs are?

It makes me feel that American consumers have a raw deal and they, on the whole, are oblivious to it.

13. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Worldwide Logistics by day,Website design by night
    Olympus, Back on the throne!!!
    According to the Verizon Website, the SCH-I545 has Gorilla Glass 3.

Display

• 5.0” full HD Super AMOLED Corning

MYKEL61, ironass and Colchicine like this.
  14. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks for this helpful info. So I'm on at&t and tried to verify if my S4 has Gorilla Glass 3. This is what I found out. Called at&t and they couldn't confirm if the S4 has Gorilla Glass 3 since its not listed under spec's. (I confirmed this as well.) Check Gorilla Glass website and it confirms the S4 has Gorilla Glass 3. (But it doesn't list all the different models for the S4). Called Samsung, gave them my IMEI # and they confirmed that all S4 have Gorilla Glass 3, the exception might be the international versions. So, at this point I have no idea what to believe. I guess I'll just stick with it has Gorilla Glass 3 since I've got conflicting info.

15. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    I think someone is, "pulling your leg", itsallgood ;)

Samsung have confirmed that all International models have Cornings Gorilla Glass 3 and they are advertised as such by Samsung...

Samsung Galaxy S4 (White), 4G, 3G, WiFi, 13MP Camera, 5“ Full HD, 1.9 GHz - Samsung UK

Gorilla Glass is an optional extra with AT&T it would seem, according to this post by Rolfron12. Also, confirmed as being absent on the xda developers forum thread quoted in post #1 above.

I freely admit that as I am based in the UK I can only base my findings on the above and Samsung UK had no knowledge of U.S. handsets as they are not available over here. I have just emailed Corning to see if they can shed any more light on which S4 variants do, or do not, have Gorilla Glass 3 by default.

16. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Male
    Digital marketing intern
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Woah!

That is shocking, I had no idea US carriers had that sort of power and influence over specs. This has to be publicised somehow, especially if the Galaxy S5 and Note 3 US variants have been treated the same.

Thank goodness I have a I9500 made in S.Korea, hasn't been touched by any carrier whatsoever.

17. jdCaptivate

jdCaptivate Android Enthusiast
    None

Interesting that AT&T supposedly doesn't do it, unless an option. Though it's both listed in the details, not display hype.

However, the wording on the Gorilla glass site, is odd. It says, Samsung and the S4 use Gorilla Glass. Says, they can't speak for other manufacturers...

Mine has lasted thru falls and bumps the same as all my other Galaxy variants. With the exception of when I closed it in the door of my K5.

Though I am quite upset with AT&T's version of Kit Kat!

18. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    NW Arkansas, USA
    ironass likes this.
  19. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Thanks! I see why that thread was closed. Looks like Sprint do not have Gorilla Glass 3 either...

20. anoniemouse

None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
    Looks like free speech etc only applies if it doesn't upset the carriers.

21. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Whilst researching for this thread I discovered that it looks as though software and Gorilla Glass are not the only differences on some Samsung Galaxy S4's...

Warranty period for your S4?

22. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Male
    Digital marketing intern
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    I wish all this had been uncovered when the S4 was new so as to expose it all and put Samsung + Carriers on the hot seat.

23. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    NW Arkansas, USA
    I don't think that was ever settled completely in that thread, one way or the other. But it is sure a question mark on the Sprint variant, at least.

24. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Unlike Samsung's advertising for the International models and others, where Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 is a prominent selling feature, it is conspicuous by its absence in Samsung's own advertising and specs for it on the SPH-L720 and other North American models.

I see that you are on Sprint and so you could contact them and ask them to confirm in writing, (always the best bet), whether the Sprint model, SPH-L720, does indeed come with Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 by default.

As mentioned previously, I have emailed Corning's, as they suggest in their small print, here, in an attempt to clarify the situation with them as Samsung UK were unable to comment on non UK/European models.

25. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Below is the reply I have today received from Samsung Customer Support.

They are willing to confirm that a number of S4 models do indeed have Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 by default.

They also inform me of something that I did not realise and that is that some S4 models come with Corning's Gorilla Glass 1 & 2.

However, whilst they are willing to confirm the presence of Gorilla Glass on the International and some other carrier branded models, they are unwilling or unable to offer confirmation on some other minority, carrier branded, variants... which seems very strange, since they manufacture them in the first place! :thinking:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.
    In regards to your email about which of the included list of phones had Corning Gorilla Glass 3, I have included most of the devices you have asked for those not included I could not find official Specifications for the screen protection or there are multiple varieties available and in these cases it would be best to ask the retailer directly.
    The following devices use Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    i9502
    I9505
    I9500
    I9506
    I9505G
    SPH-L720
    SM-C1010
    The following devices use Corning Gorilla Glass 2
    GT-i9295
    The following devices use Corning Gorilla Glass 1
    SCH-i959
    The following devices do not use Corning Gorilla Glass
    SGH-M919V
    SCH-R970C
    I hope you find this information of some use to you, if there is anything else we can do for you please feel free to contact us.
    Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.
    Kind regards,
    Ryan
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre
    "

Therefore, if Samsung cannot, or will not, confirm the presence of Corning's Gorilla Glass on certain models that they themselves manufacture, I think it is safe to say that these models do not possess it unless written confirmation is received from those carriers concerned.

itsallgood and jejb like this.