• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gorilla Glass? What a joke...

My brother destroys Gorilla Glass with ease while I put it through more punishment and it stays perfect. He dropped his while trying to put it in his pocket. Fell, shattered. That was in his house on tile I believe. While I dropped mine getting out of my truck(countless times over the years) It fell onto concrete. Bounced. Slid face down. And it remains perfect. I guess it is the luck of the draw. He doesn't want to pay the $100.00 deductible so he stays with a cracked screen. Everything still works. He does however get the occasional piece of glass in his finger lol.

Upvote 0
In my opinion unless your phone has the new V2 Gorilla Glass you can't really rely on it for protection as much as you used too. Many people with the OG Droid still have perfect screens from way back in the day. However this is when manufactures also used the proper thickness recommended by Gorilla Glass for the screen itself.

Nowadays phone manufactures mainly use the name Gorilla Glass on their new phones as a marketing gimmick. As phones continue to get thinner so does the glass used on them. It may have Gorilla Glass on it but that doesn't mean it's specced to Gorilla's recommended thickness anymore. To combat this Corning recently came out with version 2 which is designed to be just as tough as the original but thinner. Either way nothing is 100% no matter what.

Upvote 0
i've dropped my my Droid Razr from hip height more than 10 times by now. chest height from my hand once too on pavement! my screen is still completely in tact tho but the covering is ugly and scratched. I have since bought an Otterbox case. it gives me a better grip of my phone as well as protects it!

Upvote 0
Here is what happened to mine. Screen doesn't turn on at all. I tried to get a replacement as Verizon told me it would withstand short falls like that. Then they deny any help at all.

na5Ee.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones