1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Gorilla Glass?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by factorsup, Nov 23, 2011.

1. factorsup

factorsup Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    I know one of the main selling points for this phone was the durability of its glass. However, I've already put about 3 scratches in the phone's face surface with very careful use. It really only stays in my pocket, on my desk, or in a pocket alone in my bookbag. I carried an iPhone around for 2 years without any type of screen protection or case and never got a scratch on it, it seemed truly scratch resistant. So is the gorilla glass thing a gimmick? The phone is really scratchable? So far the iPhone's glass, in my opinion, is superior in durability.

Advertisement

2. aylonewolf69

aylonewolf69 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Gorilla glass is very tough but unfortuantely it is not Invulnerable. The only way to scratch it is with stone, ceramic, or sand. Metal will not scratch it. I'm so very sorry to hear this on your new phone but somewhere somehow, your phone came into contact against something made from one of these materials... For the record, I've had my iphone 3G for over three (3) years, and I've had plenty of scratches on it, I don't necessarily think the iphone is more durable... Just luck of the draw...

3. (G)

(G) Android Expert

My original Droid has Gorilla glass on it and spends its time like yours: in my pocket or on my desk. No *new* scratches at all. However, about 3 after getting it, I'd turned it over on my desk to fool around with the battery cover and apparently slid it over a grain of sand... and have lived with a 1/2" scratch in the middle of the screen for the last 1.5 years.