• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Got 2.1? OMG! Don't blink or u'll lose ur 3G!!!1!" ---> WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantare

Jun 12, 2010
chickenlittle.png

Is there any validity whatsoever to the above?

This dire warning was plastered all over the main VZW device forums here recently. As data-wipe is a routine step when flashing a custom ROM, it certainly raised a few eyebrows in xda and other quarters. Now the posts are just gone...

Reactions: AnotherHiggins
I did several hard reboots playing with root over the weekend and my phone is just as good as they day it arrived. I also did a reboot for a co-worker and his phone was fine as well. I'm not saying that 4 or 5 reboots is a good sampling, but this has not affected me.

I reverted to 100% stock from the first Froyo leak. Undid Root, reflashed the original image. No problems over here. Not entirely sure that counts, but just chiming in with my results.

Upvote 0
It sounds like this is much ado about a select few devices (probably less than a handful) encountering a problem elicited from a very specific set of conditions not easily replicated.

It is not, I repeat NOT simply due to running 2.1 and doing a factory reset. If it were, there would be hundreds of thousands of people on Android phones with no 3G service.

I've done multiple factory resets while running 2.1 and have never had a problem. So have THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of others. It's an option in the settings menu. It's meant to be done.

If this were as commonplace as it is implied to be, it would be all over the news and Verizon would put out a notice warning people.

Upvote 0
Thanks...that jibes with my own experiences as well. I think a lot of us here and elsewhere have done resets/wipes without any apparent harm to our 3G connectivity.

Re: posting false info etc, well, that was kind of my point. People make important decisions based on this type of stuff. So if someone in a position of authority takes it on himself to spam locked stickies in bold red type with alleged "inside info" implying most Android rooters/hackers/flashers are doing permanent damage to their phones, then that person has a duty to stay with the thread and either update with confirmation and details, or post a freaking retraction if they realize it was unsubstantiated BS.

Trying to retromod your own misinformation into oblivion (A) is ineffective (b/c of twitter, trackbacks, reposts etc), (B) looks seriously @%$#ing weak and (C) leaves a lot of people very confused as to what the hell all that was about. :mad:

Upvote 0
I've only done 1 reset, and that was a couple months ago... never had a problem. I've known people with Incredible who have had to reset... never had a problem.

If it were an internal issue, why would it be so spread across multiple phones, especially those from different manufacturers???? And even more so, only on phones that are sold by VZW?!

Upvote 0
I completely agree with the OP.

I started getting the Low Space warning last week. One of the most commonly cited "fixes" is to do a factory reset. Several hours after posting here for help (link) I saw the Sticky thread from a mod and thought, "I'm glad I saw *that* before hosing my phone".

I checked back every day or two waiting for the OP to post an update. Nothing. Then today the whole thread is just gone with no explanation?

That was very poorly handled.

Reactions: eyc
Upvote 0
I understand the doubts being voiced here, but to suggest that Trident made the post without good reason is frankly ridiculous. Unfortunately he's not around right now to answer himself but I'm sure he will as soon as circumstances i.e. life outside of AF allows. Until then I think it's best to temporarily close this thread, as his character and motives are being called into question in his absence.

Upvote 0
The issue has since been resolved. I only posted that notice to help and warn the community to the best of my ability, excuse me for trying I guess.. :(

This was a serious flaw in Verizon's system and I was only trying to warn you all. In the thread cited above, you can even see where some members are able to reproduce this issue. Also, if you guys actually read my post, it CLEARLY stated that it had only been occurring one day prior to me posting that thread. Let's all try to read a bit more carefully next time.. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm still very curious as to why this thread was created in the first place.. I removed my thread yesterday.

I'm very disappointed and hurt by everyone's rude behavior and personal attacks on me. Once again, sorry for trying to help. :(

/Reopened.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
For those that are "bashing" Trident. Read
http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/141289-regarding-dont-factory-wipe-2-1-sticky-2.html

Trident was simply relaying information that he got somewhere. Why on earth would any Moderator on this site purposely post bad information or ANY information they didnt seem to think was neccessary. Instead of bashing, why don't you do more research on your own. Not everyone is affected by this, but MANY are. Dont believe, call VZW Tech Support. Ask for a Tier 2 rep (good luck though...lol). They will verify this as they did with me. My Incredible did this and I was having 3G issues. These threads helped me get my problem resolved!

So....to those who are HELPFUL, thanks for the information!!

Upvote 0
That's not a solution, it obviously did not affect that member like it did several other Verizon Wireless customers. Data was completely lost (yes, even after reactivation) on the devices which I was told about by my internal source.

Its a solution to those who have lost data, yes.

Its not a solution to Verizon's screwed provisioning system.

Those two had also reactivated and not had it work. They had to do it themselves.

I don't see how its not a solution. It clearly fixes it, and points the problem at Verizon and their provisioning setup.

Upvote 0
It is VZW provisioning with exsisting Alltel customers. That seems to be where the main problem lies. There are 12 million ported Alltel customers. Now, how many of those may have 2.1 android phones...don't know. But I can imagine a good handful. Now all it takes is for one of them to reset there phone. (Which is the #1 troubleshooting tip given by Tech support and customer service). So although no "solution" is found, the issue has been narrowed down.

Reactions: Trident
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones