1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Got A Question About Emulators Or Roms - Read This and Ask Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shotgunfool, Jun 23, 2011.

1. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2009
    Someone needs to delete some of the threads made about people asking for Roms and a tutorial needs to be written, so i thought i would give it a stab, please feel free to ask any question no matter how silly you may think it is. But please - Read other peoples questions and read the responses given. DO NOT make a new thread just ask inside this one and hopefully this will stop all of the threads filling up the forum.

Lets start from a basic view -

What is a rom?
    A ROM image, or ROM file, is a computer file which contains a copy of the data from a read-only-memory chip, often from a CD/DVD/Games Cartridge, or from an arcade game. The term is frequently used in the context of emulation, whereby older games or computer firmware are copied to ROM files on modern computers and can, using a piece of software known as an emulator, be run on the newer computer.

Are Roms Legal?
    Yes and No

This is a tricky one depending where you live, and how you aquired the ROM will decide whether your copy of the rom you have aquired is legal. The way to know whether or not your copy is legal is simple;

Did you download the rom from an internet site which flagged up saying you have spyware and viruses on your computer and tried to get you to download some dodgy antivirus, then yes, this is illegal.

Whereas if you have a physical copy of your game on whatever platform it may be on in some countries you are allowed to make a copy of it. Im not going to go into it in this guide as it is widely available to find on the internet. Google is your friend.

So iv got my ROM file, how do i play my game?

Simple, you just download the matching emulator from a variety of sources, either the android market, App Brain Market, Slide Me Market or directly from the developers website.

So iv downloaded this ROM file and my emulator but I cannot open it? What do i do now?!

Well firstly you need to ensure you are trying to open the correct file format, some emulators will accept the rom if it is still zipped others wont so please try unzipping the file and reloading it into your emulator before posting.

The file will need to be stored on the SD card, preferably in the root directory so you will have easy access to it so for example, im using the N64 Emulator, so i have a folder on the root of my SD card which is called N64 Roms, and i bet you can guess what i store in there, just do this for all the different types of emulators you have to keep things nice and tidy.

Iv unzipped my game file and tried to run it again but im getting an error saying BIOS not found, how do i get past this?

Well this is where the tricky part comes in, this file is not allowed to be distributed around the internet legally, this must be dumped from your console onto your pc then transfered onto your phone.

Important! - Please Read This Next Bit Carefully.

"Linking to pirated/illegal software: It's a shame I actually have to touch on this. Don't do it. It will be removed and repeat offenses will result in a ban."

Site Rules

Please follow them, what you download onto your computer from wherever is your business, do not post links to warez or any illegal content on the forum as your account will be Banned.

I Hope you enjoyed reading that lot ^.^ i sure know i didnt enjoy typing this but hey-ho nevermind, if you have any questions please ask them here or if you think your question is silly, and dont want to post it here.

PM Me
    Or
    Email Me: shotgunfool@gmail.com

Regards
    Shotgunfool

Advertisement

2. MeowBurt

MeowBurt Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    Is there a specific ROM on the android market you reccomend ? The 'ROM MANAGER' does NOT support Xperia play. Are there any others you reccomend (That work well with the FPSE?)

3. Krymore

Krymore Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    ok seems i should ask here instead..

Do i need to Root or boot my Play to use a downloaded emulator from another place then the anroid marked?

ive set my app settings to let 3rd party app be installed. dont even know if i needed to do tht but hey..

So knew to this type of OS... just came from a Bada to this World of crazynezz..

4. alboid

alboid Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    California
    No you don't need to boot or be rooted to use 3rd party emulators. I got mine from a 3rd party and I'm not rooted.

5. shotgunfool

None

Dec 28, 2009
    When you say rom do you mean game file if so then yes you need ps1 iso files which can be ripped from your ps 1 games using a cd drive a piece of freeware

6. shotgunfool

None

Dec 28, 2009
    No you do not need to be rooted to use a emulator you can download then from android market or from the other links provided in the original post

7. BonaFid

BonaFid Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011

download an app called easy installer from googles android market. It will recongise android apps on your SD and let you install them. Its how I installed all the emulators from the slideme marketplace.