• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got a question about the supposed TFT screen?

Roman G.

No-Posting Probation
Feb 10, 2010
Oregon
I keep hearing that the EVO is gonna have a TFT screen! While I did not know what it was I knew it was old school compared to what we have! Well this evening I took some time to figure out what it is, and guess what it sucks! Well maybe not! BUT!!!!!

I used to have the original Instinct and just looked up the specs and guess what it has a TFT LCD, now if you have ever owned a instinct you prolly remember the nice little wear mark that was on the screen, now I understand that there was a cover over in it, but I am wondering what they will put over the LCD screen!
Just me rambling!

Feel free to throw your thoughts up!

Roman

simply put TFT is an advanced version of LCD .

Consumes even lesser enegy than lcd,
Improved picture quality,
180 degree viewability.

So its TFT-LCD,not TFT alone.

I know that, I was just going off what the specs say on the instinct page, it says TFT-LCD!
But now I feel a little better! I just looked up the specs on my Hero and it says: TFT LCD, so it just seems that HTC just pulled it off better then what samsung did!
I don't know about anyone else but i just love the feel of the screen on my Hero!

Upvote 0
simply put TFT is an advanced version of LCD .

Consumes even lesser enegy than lcd,
Improved picture quality,
180 degree viewability.

So its TFT-LCD,not TFT alone.

Where did you come up with TFT being an advanced version of LCD? To the best of my knowledge all LCD screens we use now a days are TFT. Though this screen is most likely a TN panel because it is small and 6bit. They also don't have 180 degree viewing angles, IPS is the best for viewing angles but you would never see that on a mobile phone as it requires more battery.

TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Liquid crystal display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yeah basically the screen is similar to any other phone such as the iPhone, Hero, HD2, Droid ect (hold AMOLED screens such as the Nexus One and Samsung Moment).

Upvote 0
LED is better overall. It uses less energy to operate, can be seen at angles and stuff like that. But the current crop of LED screens have a multitouch issue. Perhaps HTC went with a LCD for a better multi touch?

Maybe you were thinking of OLED or AMOLED? Not sure if they have 'multitouch issues' but I think that is what you are thinking of.

LED is just what lights the screen. All those "LED" TVs you see at Best Buy or whatever are LCDs with LEDs for the backlighting instead of CCFL (Cold cathode fluorescent lamps). LEDs provide a little better color accuracy, use less energy, allow the screen to be thinner, and basically eliminate blooming. They do not affect the angles that the screen can be seen at.
Most small screens like this are LED backlit because of the lower energy and allow the phone to be thinner and the cost is negligible being the screen is so small.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones