1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Got a rooted droid X coming but...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Droid_Convert, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Droid_Convert

Droid_Convert Newbie
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    I'm making the leap to android (currently using an EnV Touch). So I went on Ebay and found a lightly used Droid X with a kickass bundle of accessories. I knew I wanted to experiment with rooting, but now I'm confused. In the auction the seller said:

"This phone will works perfectly, will boot up into Clockwork Recovery mode and is ready to be rooted with a variety of ROM's available all over the internet."

I have not gotten the phone yet (still in the mail). But, I'm scared as I feel I'm being dropped in the middle of a process of which I don't know where the beginning is. I've been trying to read through Rooler's rooting guide, but I'm not quite sure where I fit in. What do I need to do to find out what stage I'm at? How will I know what version of whatever software I have?

Should I maybe look into restoring the default and using a downloaded sbf to get the droid X back to the very basics and then try to re-root.

I just want a clean running rooted droid x but I dont' know what I'm really dealing with. Any advice?

Advertisement

2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    PLEASE DON'T WORRY! You've happened to stumble across the nice group of helping guys on the internet. Wait until you get your and ask your question. We'll answer them one by one for you, thoroughly.

If you don't get an adequate answer, here, (unlikely), you can always PM me. We love making experienced root users out of newbies. :)

colchiro and bigshotproducer like this.
  3. Droid_Convert

Droid_Convert Newbie
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I'll wait until it arrives.

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    You've stumbled upon the best forum for getting help with a rooted X. I think you'll find the users here more helpful and knowledgeable than your friendly neighborhood VZ tech. :D

5. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Android Expert
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Maryland
    me personally, this is what I would do. Use the SBF file to get you to a clean slate of the latest version.
    then you can root it (if you choose to) and do whatever you want with it

6. RoOoLeR

RoOoLeR Member
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    Cedar City, Utah
    Best answer right here..

by doing a SBF right of the gate you know for a fact that phone is clean as can be :) Also assuming it comes with a memory card. i would format the card too.

7. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Charlotte
    Why not flash Maderstock zip and forget messing with SBF. Regardless of how you get to stock make sure you are up to date.

8. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    IMO, this would be the easier way for a noob to get to stock. RSD Lite and flashing an sbf is above and beyond what someone should be doing to their device if that is their first exposure to smartphones and Android.

1) OP, download the maderstcok.zip file from the link in the first post here:

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

You can do it now, just keep it handy on your computer. Hopefully you have a card reader (and adapter) that can read and copy from the micro sd memory card that will come with the phone. You will need it to copy the maderstcok.zip file to the memory card.

2) After copying the maderstcok.zip file to the memory card, put the memory card back in the phone. Power up the phone, when the Clockwork Mod Recovery screen comes up, use the volume Up and Down keys to put the cursor on -wipe data/factory reset, use the camera button to select it. After it completes it's thing, put the cursor on -install zip from sd card. Then use the volume up and down keys to navigate to the maderstcok.zip file and press the camera button to make your selection.

3) Another screen will pop up. Scroll down to the line that will apply the maderstcok update zip file and press the camera button all the way down to select.

4) After the maderstcok.zip file is done flashing, the phone will reboot. Be patient, the process will take a long time, especially after flashing a new rom/resetting files.

9. RoOoLeR

RoOoLeR Member
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    Cedar City, Utah
    Or just hook it your computer with the included USB chord.. (granted the phone boots up)

10. Droid_Convert

Droid_Convert Newbie
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    So the phone has arrived and I'm not sure it is actually rooted. The two test I've used are:

-Installing Telnet from appmarket and trying to connect to local host
    -Downloading Bootstrapper and trying to run it

Both apps failed so I'm left assuming this phone is not rooted

My question is - Can I safely assume the phone is not rooted and begin the process of rooting via RoOoLeR's guide (z4 root). Is there some other way to check if the phone is or has been rooted?

11. RoOoLeR

RoOoLeR Member
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    Cedar City, Utah
    There are numerous ways to see if the phone is rooted.. However do this..

Download z4root
    Install / open the app

If you see:
    (Temporary Root)
    ( Permanent Root)
    Then your phone is not rooted.

If you see
    (Unroot)
    Then it is..

You will not harm your phone by doing any of that ;)

If its not rooted hit Permanent Root (can still be un-rooted)

***Also look in the App Tray and see if you see an app "Super User"