1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Got an S2 first thoughts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darewinder, Nov 11, 2011.

1. darewinder

darewinder Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Hey guys just got an S2 2 days ago, i thought i would share my first thoughts with others.

Just a lil background: I used HTC incredible for 2 years, never rooted. Followed up by pain of IP4 for 3 months :mad:

B/w htc and this phone, The speed is deffinatly noticable. I never saw this phone hesitate a hinch. Screen, is beuitiful. I mean my htc was amoled screen as well but the deep blacks on this screen :eek:

1-2 minor issues:

Battery. I lost about 50% battery life just by having the phone sit idle for 5 hrs at night. I think i fixed this by snycing with the real facebook app instead of the one for social hub (which snycs like every min instead of every hour)

Android market: I am currently studyin abroad so thanks to google I get this shitty android market that has like no paid apps and total of 50 apps. I think I have to root to enable the "real" android market.

Feel free to comment. Pics comin as well

Advertisement

2. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    50% in 5 hours of idle time is way too much.

1) You can set different sync schedule in the social hub or to do it manually.

2) Off the data line when not require (Long press on power button and option will come out or get a widget)

3) Check battery usage and wakelogs. Get BetterBatteryStats to see which app is causing the backlogs. I suspect your phone is not really sleeping.

4) Update firmware if possible

5) As for market, don't understand why staying overseas have an effect. Isn't the android market a standard one? You can update to 3.3.11 and the link can be found in this forum.

Cheers

3. darewinder

darewinder Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Android market is apperantly not standard. This is me finding this out the first time as well. If you google, you will see that besides US and UK most other countries cant access the paid apps. (and most popular nonpaid app

I will try to flash to a US rom or a custom rooted rom to see if market gets fixed however i presume not since alot of people have the similar issue.

How can I get that app to see whats using my battery? In the stock battery log i see the my computer wakes way too often (will post screen snapshot when i get home).

4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Which country are you from?

Maybe you can try logging on to google with a PC and using the international one without specifying country. Or maybe use your home country when registering the google account.

I am using BetterBatteryStats but I think you can search for any usable battery monitor that can give a bit more detailed information than the stock. If you can't access android market, try searching for apk files.

Goodluck

5. darewinder

darewinder Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    I am at turkey atm. Will try your suggestions this weekend